Thread: COR-20 Union

Frequent Visitor

COR-20 Union

I need to replace Union on my COR-20, as I need to re-do my plumbing, does anyone know where I can order two?

Thanks

Frequent Visitor
    Ouch - I would try neptune support. Those are custom unions with BSP (?) threads, so they are not easy to find. No chance you can use the union you have?

Frequent Visitor
    You only need to replace the slip side of the Neptune union. I just went to Home Depot and verified that you can use the unthreaded part the 1 1/4 inch schedule 40 PVC union to replace the slip half of the Neptune union. Of course you will need to use the Neptune union nut and the HD part is white and schedule 40. I suspect that the schedule 80 unions I found on google searching on 1 1/4 inch pvc union will have the required slip piece but I have no way of verifying.

Frequent Visitor
    That’s a stroke of luck! Make sure you bring the union with you - I had to replace one side of a union for some plumbing changes once and found out that there were enough diffferences between brands that you can’t assume they are interchangeable, but if it works it’s far easier and cheaper than getting the full replacement.

On a related note, does anyone know why Neptune elected to use British pipe threads on their pumps? They are obviously getting the pieces custom made. Is it really too much to ask that they use a thread standard that is obtainable?

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepydoc View Post
    On a related note, does anyone know why Neptune elected to use British pipe threads on their pumps? They are obviously getting the pieces custom made. Is it really too much to ask that they use a thread standard that is obtainable?
    BSP is the predominant thread used worldwide; we here in the states are a notable exception with our regional standard of NPT. Neptune is not alone in using BSP - Ecotech Vectras , Reef Octopus VarioS series, Deepwater, BLDC-series, Jebao/Jecod pumps, and many others made for the global market have BSP.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    BSP is the predominant thread used worldwide; we here in the states are a notable exception with our regional standard of NPT. Neptune is not alone in using BSP - Ecotech Vectras , Reef Octopus VarioS series, Deepwater, BLDC-series, Jebao/Jecod pumps, and many others made for the global market have BSP.
    I just wish I could find them, for now until I can find them, I have two paper weights. :-(

Yes I went to all the big box stores, with no luck. I only need the top part, but if I have to buy the entire thing I will.

This is correct, however, BSP is also used almost exclusively on metric pipe so finding BSP in imperial units is incredibly difficult.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    Except the COR pumps are not being sold anywhere else except the U.S., and since the orange volute is obviously a custom piece, it should have been a simple matter to spec it with NPT threads.

I believe it was Terence who actually commented on the expense of providing a threaded BSP to Imperial Slip union. Shipping a pump like this with a critical part that is otherwise unavailable is a setup for having problems after purchasing. If you (or any other company) is going to ship a pump to a region in which the connections aren't standard, the least you can do is make the fittings available.

Regular Vistor
    Not sure why they went with BSP. It makes changing pluming very difficult. If you need a worldwide model make two models like the you did with the EB8.

Making the slip side of the union available would help.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepydoc View Post
    Except the COR pumps are not being sold anywhere else except the U.S., and since the orange volute is obviously a custom piece, it should have been a simple matter to spec it with NPT threads.

I believe it was Terence who actually commented on the expense of providing a threaded BSP to Imperial Slip union. Shipping a pump like this with a critical part that is otherwise unavailable is a setup for having problems after purchasing. If you (or any other company) is going to ship a pump to a region in which the connections aren't standard, the least you can do is make the fittings available.
    I agree. And it is worst that it needs to be. BSP comes in two forms: BSPT and BSPP. BSPT has tapered threads and BSPP has parallel threads. You can find BSPT online (not cheap). Good luck finding BSPP. BRS sales a BSPP adapter for the Vectra that is a lot smaller than the "special" Neptune Systems union. I talked to BRS and they assured me the part is BSPP. I purchased a set. The adapters do not fit the COR and I have confirmed they are BSPP. I have found adapters at Home Depot that fit the Varios8 and Jebao DC9000. Chinese supply chain........sigh.

I also need to replace the Union on my COR-20 Pump, Is there any way to obtain this online, or from neptune?
    I understand the BSPP standardization, but to have a specific conversion part with no replacements, or additional options is quite frustrating to deal with when you have to make plumbing changes :/

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNore View Post
    I also need to replace the Union on my COR-20 Pump, Is there any way to obtain this online, or from neptune?
    I understand the BSPP standardization, but to have a specific conversion part with no replacements, or additional options is quite frustrating to deal with when you have to make plumbing changes :/
    Neptune sells a replacement union.

Quote Originally Posted by wwanthony View Post
    Neptune sells a replacement union.
    I have been trying to locate a URL to purchase one in these forums but have not been able to find one. Just a page for the Flow Sensor unions.
    I assume a Ticket has to be open for this "Problem" ?

Regular Vistor
    The 1 1/4" unions from the hardware store near me worked. I just used the one side ( the slip side) of the that union and the nut and the side that screws to the pump of the original union.

Frequent Visitor
    I stopped at my local BORG and found a 1 ¼" PVC female adaptor for electrical conduit that fit onto the outlet of my COR 20. I did not verify whether it was water tight or not, but if you are using the pump in an internal or submerged configuration, it should be tight enough. Otherwise, thread sealant or an O ring should do the trick. Interestingly, the 1 ½" adapter I bought would not fit onto the inlet. Not an issue for me since the pump is submerged, but significant if you are trying to re-plumb your pump for an external use.

Note that both of these were PVC fittings for electrical conduit that use parallel threads, rather than the taper threads that plumbing fittings use.

For those who need to replace their fittings, the options I can think of are:

• Get a standard 1 ¼" union from the hardware store and use the upper half with the nut and the lower half of the Neptune fitting.
    • If you have room, install a standard union above the custom Neptune union
    • Contact Neptune customer support to see if you can order a replacement union
    • Get a 1 ¼" female adapter for PVC electrical conduit (I haven't tried this to see if it is water tight or not)
    • Use a flexible rubber coupling (I haven't tried this to know if it will work, either)
    • Remove the old pipe from the fitting either by drilling or heating the old connection. (one example here)

New User
    Actually the Ecotech Vectra pumps are bspt Cor are bspp threads I have both pumps