Thread: How Does DOS Work?

How Does DOS Work?

I was talking to a friend who has a reef tank and I mentioned I'm going to have to get the CO2 tank that powers my CA reactor refilled in a week or two. My friend said since I have an Apex I should look into getting a DOS. I hadn't thought about it before so I thought I would look into it. My question is when you run a DOS do you still use a PH probe to control the dosing or do you have to buy some other type of probe? Also, does the DOS include a reservoir or do I just insert the hoses into the additive bottles?

Control Freak In Training
    Neptune sells the DDR reservoir that looks quite nice, but no reason you can't pull from just about any container. The great thing about apex is you can have your ph probe reading effect your dosing, or not. This can be as easy or involved as you like!

The DOS is an advanced peristaltic dosing pump. It basically squeezes the liquid through the tubing so it's incredibly accurate and auto seals in both directions when not running so the line is always primed. The advantage of the DOS over something like the BRS peristilic pump is better build quality and ease of use. You simply tell it how much you want it to dose over what time period and it does the legwork for you.

You don't need a special probe for the DOS. You can incorporate the probe in your tank into the code so that it stops dosing above your specified pH limit.

You can use any container you want and Neptune sells the DDR reservoir if you want something slick looking that will notify you when you need to refill it.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

One more question: Is using DOS really better then a PH controlled CA reactor for controlling CA and Alk? I've been running a CA reactor since I set up my first reef tank 20 years ago so dosing is new to me.

Frequent Visitor
    Hello.

So I have a Deltec CA Reactor and I am pushing the water thru the reactor with the DÖS.

I have a pH probe in the reactor to make sure I have a steady 6.0 pH inside the reactor and I control the amount of CO2 injected.

Then everytime I need with the DÖS I dose the aquarium with the saturated water from the Ca reactor.

Very simple and very effective and actually kind of mimic the work of DaStaCo reactors

Bigjim, please tell us specifically what you are considering doing with the DOS. I think you are planning to possibly replace your CaRx and use the DOS for dosing 2-part Alk & Ca, but it’s not totally clear to me. And looking at the replies from others, which are all over the place in content, I’m not sure the others are fully understanding your intentions either.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    Bigjim, please tell us specifically what you are considering doing with the DOS. I think you are planning to possibly replace your CaRx and use the DOS for dosing 2-part Alk & Ca, but it’s not totally clear to me. And looking at the replies from others, which are all over the place in content, I’m not sure the others are fully understanding your intentions either.
    I am thinking about replacing our CA reactor with a DOS and using it to dose a 2 part (Alk & Ca) solution. This was a suggestion from a friend with a reef tank. He was saying more and more people are switching from reactors to dosing for home aquariums as it's easier to deal with and more accurate once dialed in.

It'd be helpful to know tank volume and inhabitants; dosing is indeed a great solution for a lot of tanks for the reasons (and others) that your friend listed. However, there are situations, such as very large volume SPS-heavy tanks, where a Ca reactor is going to be tough to make up in terms of dosing volume, so it'd be best to know the intended application.

It's a 90 gallon mixed reef containing LPS, SPS, assorted polyps, mushrooms, zoos and a couple of softies. Along with "Sam the Clam" (a 6" wide Squamosa clam I've had for 6 years). Sammy as he's known is the centerpiece of the tank.

That volume and population should be fine for dosing in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by bigjim View Post
    It's a 90 gallon mixed reef containing LPS, SPS, assorted polyps, mushrooms, zoos and a couple of softies. Along with "Sam the Clam" (a 6" wide Squamosa clam I've had for 6 years). Sammy as he's known is the centerpiece of the tank.
    You would be fine with either in that size tank. I have used both a DOS and a calcium reactor in a 125 heavy SPS tank and it worked well but was a harder to dial in than the DOS. The Calcium reactor was much cheaper to operate, so I stuck with that and used the DOS for AWC. Basically if you are willing to pay a premium for more accuracy and ease of dialing in go with the DOS and if you want cheaper recurring costs stay with the reactor.

Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    You would be fine with either in that size tank. I have used both a DOS and a calcium reactor in a 125 heavy SPS tank and it worked well but was a harder to dial in than the DOS. The Calcium reactor was much cheaper to operate, so I stuck with that and used the DOS for AWC. Basically if you are willing to pay a premium for more accuracy and ease of dialing in go with the DOS and if you want cheaper recurring costs stay with the reactor.

The reactor has been running fine. It's just a PITA to get the CO2 tank refilled since the only local place that fills them (welding supply place) is only open during weekdays. I'll stick with the reactor.

Thanks