Thread: Reef V3.0 with New Fishroom

Frequent Visitor

Reef V3.0 with New Fishroom

So after a bad bout of Dino, I decided to go nuclear. I am using the occasion to create version 3.0 of my system. My canopy needs some work and in all honesty my accessories have grown past the limits of my stand. I am tired of staring at the chiller and 2 part jugs. My old "fish room" is taking up too much space. Lucky me I have a closet directly beneath my DT. At the heart of this will be the COR 20. Sure my system is only 60 gallons, but with the head loss and a bunch of elbows and valves, I don't want to fall short. My Eheim 1260 has served me well, but I dont think its gonna give me the 10X turnover I have now with 11' of pipe (mostly vertical.)

Besides I love all my Neptune products. So why not go with the COR. Stand by for some slow build pics if you follow me o RC. or "Thereefaholic" youtube channel. All the apex related pics and discussion will be posted here for sure.

Frequent Visitor
    IMG_20180225_172624.jpg

Look at this sweet space. Ran the plumbing when I first put the tank in... Need to add a 1' return. Ill use the 3/4 as a emergency overflow...

Frequent Visitor
    figuring out the plumbing and deciding on the return size and pump. I have a 60 gallon. so looking between 420-600 GPH of turn over. I intend on having a overflow, emergency over flow and a return line all run in spa-flex. My runs will be about 10 feet. with the return being about 12 feet as it needs to reach a little higher. So this leads to a performance question (that I will probably post on the one of the COR threads). But what combination of return line size and pump (15 or 20) is going to put me in that GPH window? I know I can turn down the pumps. But I would rather have the best combo and use the controller to tweak things.

Quote Originally Posted by MHG View Post
    figuring out the plumbing and deciding on the return size and pump. I have a 60 gallon. so looking between 420-600 GPH of turn over. I intend on having a overflow, emergency over flow and a return line all run in spa-flex. My runs will be about 10 feet. with the return being about 12 feet as it needs to reach a little higher. So this leads to a performance question (that I will probably post on the one of the COR threads). But what combination of return line size and pump (15 or 20) is going to put me in that GPH window? I know I can turn down the pumps. But I would rather have the best combo and use the controller to tweak things.
    How high? The elevation change plays a bigger role than tubing length.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    Sorry it's the floor directly abouve. So about 10' vertical. The rest is horizontal with a few turns. Those are 6' spa flex hoses in the pic (basement is only 6'1"). The sump is gonna be about a foot above the floor. The top of the DT is about 5' above the floor.

Sorry it's the floor directly abouve. So about 10' vertical. The rest is horizontal with a few turns. Those are 6' spa flex hoses in the pic (basement is only 6'1"). The sump is gonna be about a foot above the floor. The top of the DT is about 5' above the floor.
    A COR 15 will get you about 500-550 gph at 100% which is more than enough for a 60 gallon. The 10x turnover that you hear thrown around a lot is pump rating without head loss for a typical 4ft head setup wil mag drive pumps. Actual effective flowrate target should ideally be 3-5 times total water volume which would be in the 180-300 gph range. So with a COR 15 and an oversized skimmer you would be targeting roughly 50-60%.

Frequent Visitor
    Thanks. What size return is your calculation based on?

Thanks. What size return is your calculation based on?
    Cor 15 with 3/4" pipe

Also I used a mag 12 pump curve and added an extra 90 to account for the extra friction of spa flex compared to PVC. That has come fairly close on previous calculations I have helped people with and confirmed with flow sensors so it should be pretty close but not exact.

Frequent Visitor
    Speaking of a flow sensor. Would it make a difference if I install the flow sensor near the pump or do I need to put it near the tank to get an accurate reading?

Speaking of a flow sensor. Would it make a difference if I install the flow sensor near the pump or do I need to put it near the tank to get an accurate reading?
    The reading will be within a gph or two regardless of where you place it.

Frequent Visitor
    Outstanding. Thanks for your assistance

Frequent Visitor
    of course. I go to place my order for the COR15 and its out of stock. Is this thing even available?

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Cor 15 with 3/4" pipe

What kind of flow rate can I expect on a 1" return? No one locally sells 3/4" Spa-Flex. Before I order it I figure I would ask...

Frequent Visitor
    Well got my email at 6AM from BRS that the COR15 was back in stock. Only 5 of them. Bought it from my phone. By 9 AM there was only 1 left...

Frequent Visitor
    Got my COR-15. Still wet from testing. Cant get them out fast enough I guess...I also bought the FMK. I am not sure If I will use the 1/2 inch meters for my Chiller and a UV but the cost above buying just what I needed was insignificant. I do want to add level sensors as I bought a 3 gallon acrylic container unit for alk/calc/mag. Problem is space so I need to run both my FT and DT off of it. So I want alarms on the level. But if I use all the flow sensors I only have one port (assuming the level sensor uses one of the four round ports on the FMM). I dont need a sensor on mag but I need both the alk and calc. Would suck to buy another FMM for just that but I could.

There is not much info on the optical sensors. But it looks like that can be drilled and mounted horizontally as well as internally using a right angle mag mount. The info on them online is minimal...

Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    Thats funny, I searched a few threads and missed this one. Thanks Russ...

Frequent Visitor
    Well time for a dry fit...

Fish Room.jpg

Frequent Visitor
    Dryfit
    Attached Images Attached Images

Frequent Visitor
    Well the frag system is now officially wet. Its running a Eheim 1260. The vibrations are a bit and Ill need to deal with that. Cant wait to get the DT online. Hopefully by next weekend. I am excited to test out the COR15...

Frequent Visitor
    A little more plumbing to go. Need to add a couple more unions and another ball valve. Return for the chiller (Yes a chiller and LED lights. The tank is in the only room with no AC... and its on the front of the house so its gonna take an expensive split unit...

IMG_20180503_195406.jpg

Frequent Visitor
    wow. excitement followed by disappointment. I had only the one wav pump running at 100% to mix the salt in the DT. The COR15 could not run at 100% at the same time. I don't even know what to say about that...

Frequent Visitor
    So after some tweaking and things settling down, I am getting only about 280 GPH of flow. If I turn on the GFO/Carbon reactors that goes up a bit because the flow sensor in at my pump output and not at the returns output into the tank.. that's a little less than 5x if I go by tank volume and about 3.5x if I count system volume. I was shooting for between 4x5 times. I'm ok with it but with the issue of the 1link power supply running at 120-130 degreed with only one wav I should have gotten the COR20. Since I am having issues getting my other WAV to work I guess I'll see what comes from that. If the second wave is junk I will not be plopping down $200 for another one and running two wav's and a cor15 on the 1link. It's just gonna fail running that hot sooner or later. I'll decide then...

Frequent Visitor
    I am now running a C0R20. It has my flow up to about 370 now. but I am able to drop it down to 55% and it seems to hover between 340 and 360. This is where my water level is only trickling into the emergency overflow. At anything above that it is pouring in. so this seems to be the sweet spot. I am guessing the head pressure is at a point where that last 45% hardly makes a difference. Regardless I am much happier with the 20.