Thread: UPS Backup Programming Help!

New User

UPS Backup Programming Help!

Ok here it goes.

I have a 2016 Apex model with the APEX 12V plugged into the wall. I have my EB8 plugged into the UPS. I am trying to program the following things and can not figure it out. First off if the power goes out for less than one hour I would like to run everything for that period of time except for the heater/backup heater. If after 60 mins the power is still out I would like to shut everything off except for my GYRE pump which I would like to run until the UPS dies. However if power state is returned I need everything to return back to normal state after let’s say a 10 min delay.

I have the following attached to my EB8

DC pump,
    2 LED lights - same plug
    Skimmer
    Gyre
    2 heaters
    Dosing pump

How do I go about accomplishing what I would like to do?

Thanks,

Doug

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think what you are trying to accomplish is a good idea. Running all of those things for the first hour of a power outage is going to drain your UPS before the hour is up unless you have a $400+ UPS. It might be fine if you nixed the LED lights and your return and skimmer are very low power but I expect that these items have a pretty reasonable draw at normal conditions.

What would be reasonable is to run a different sequence that will help ride through for short outages without overly drawing power. I would suggest something along the lines of.

Immediately - shut off lighting, and heating. Cut return intensity. Set gyre to low speed.

10 minutes - shut off skimmer

30 minutes - shut off return and dosing

1 hour - set gyre to minimum speed.

You can make each of these actions happen with a VO.

Ex 30 minutes

30Power
    Set OFF
    If Power Apex Off 000 Then ON
    Defer 030:00 Then ON

Here is an example of what the return would look like

Return
    Fallback ON
    Set 90
    If FeedA 000 Then OFF
    If Power Apex Off 000 Then 20
    If Outlet 30Power = ON Then OFF

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

New User
    Okay couple questions then. Do I need to make three virtual outlets then?

15power
    30power
    60power

Then in your second part what does the set 90 command do? And what does the “then 20” statement do?

Thanks for the quick reply.

New User
    Also my gyre is being controlled currently by the provided controller (maxspect) and my return pump is a Jabeo DC pump with its own controller.

If the gyre and Jebao are on their own controllers, then I wouldn't even bother keeping the return and skimmer on at all unless it's a really short time (like 10 minutes or less). My recommendation was based on the premise that the Gyre and DC pump were Varspd controlled.

New User
    Why is that? Also what about the answers to my first questions after your initial response?

Because the total power draw will be too high to last an hour if you can't turn things down. I dont know the what devices you are using, but the jebao and skimmer probably pull around 100 watts combined. Add the gyre and apex load and you're probably close to 130 or so. If you have a typical 1500VA UPS that most people buy, That will last 1 hour at most with just those items on. If it's just the gyre and apex you could get 3-4 hours.

I would suggest using a VO with at most 10 minute defer to turn off the return and skimmer but probably better to do 1 or 2 minutes. The gyre code can stay as it is, and everything else turn off with the if power apex line. The dosing pumps you could do however you want because they are on rarely and don't pull much power.

Here is a general approach to putting devices into a power save mode to extend battery life on UPS. For example, a skimmer, circulation pump, or a reactor you don't want to go stagnant:

SKIMMER
    OSC 000:00/005:00/025:00 Then ON
    If Power EB8x 000 ON Then ON

This assumes EB8x is on Mains power as a means to detect power loss, while the Skimmer is on UPS power. If Power Apex could be used instead if using 12VDC adapter. So as long as mains power is present, the OSC is overridden and the outlet is constant ON. However, when power is lost, the OSC is left to do its thing and cycle power ON/OFF, 5 mins out of every 30 mins in this example.