Thread: Connectivity Troubleshooting

Connectivity Troubleshooting

I have an Apex Classic that connects to WiFi using a WNCE2001 adapter. I have been using Heartbeat on this system for a looong time. I also have a new Apex 2106 that has been set up for about 2 months. It connects to the same router's (Netgear WNDR3700 RangeMax Dual Band Wireless-N Gigabit Router) WiFi using its internal adapter. I tried to turn on Heartbeat last week and discovered that my connection on the new controller wasn't reliable enough. I was unable to diagnose the problem, and had been thinking about upgrading my router anyway, so I bought a new one (Netgear Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Router). Surely, if my router were to blame, this would resolve the issue, but Heartbeat still says my connection is not reliable. Both controllers have reserved IP addresses in the router. Here is a screen shot of my Heartbeat results for both controllers:

Heartbeat Screen Shot 20180302 - smaller.jpg

The first two disconnects on the Classic correspond with two of the 2016 disconnects and are a result of me playing around with the router last night trying to figure things out. None of the other 6 disconnects (5 on the 2016 and 1 on the Classic) match up. My questions are:

If the issue is with my cable modem or router, wouldn't the others match up as well?

Since I have 3 pieces of equipment that could be to blame (cable modem, router, and controller), is there a recommended set of steps for troubleshooting this issue? If there is, might I suggest a sticky? I'll bet others might benefit as well. BTW, the Reeftronics networking diagnostic link in aquamanic's "Read this first - Basic Networking Setup" sticky is broken.

Could be your adaptor or the router might be dumb at choosing the WiFi channel. I have a nighthawk as well and it had the bright idea of putting me on channel 3 (channel should always be 1, 6 or 11) with auto channel select which gave me some problems with numerous 2.4gHz devices. When I set it to stick to channel 11 those problems disappeared.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Quote Originally Posted by rlbannon View Post
    BTW, the Reeftronics networking diagnostic link in aquamanic's "Read this first - Basic Networking Setup" sticky is broken.
    Thanks for mentioning this. I have edited that old post to remove the link. That old online diagnostic tool would have been no value to you anyway.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Could be your adaptor or the router might be dumb at choosing the WiFi channel. I have a nighthawk as well and it had the bright idea of putting me on channel 3 (channel should always be 1, 6 or 11) with auto channel select which gave me some problems with numerous 2.4gHz devices. When I set it to stick to channel 11 those problems disappeared.
    Auto had picked channel 5. Switched it to 11. Cross your fingers, please!

Apex Jr. display indicates commmunication with fusion status is ok. Mobile app indicates that apex jr. is disconnected. Which is correct. Why the different statuses. New user and new to hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Looks like the next time we're in the same city, beer's on me, zombie! Channel 11 and no disconnects in 24 hours. Heartbeat now enabled. Thank you.