Thread: Return Pump Alarm

Regular Vistor

Return Pump Alarm

I need to set up an alarm if my return pump isn't turned on for some reason. I have it plugged in to the 2nd receptacle and have it set at auto, but it turns itself on and off sometimes and I would like to be alerted when it turns off.

Frequent Contributor iamchadster's Avatar
    Your profile says you have an apex classic so power draw isn't an option to monitor. How is your system set up? IOW what other modules etc do you have? BOB? Etc.
    Chad

Regular Vistor
    Just have the energy bar 8, temp, ph, and the controller. I have my refuge light, return pump, heater, skimmer cleaner, ate and skimmer hooked up now.

As iamchadster mentions, the Apex Classic & EB8 do not have per-outlet power consumption monitoring, so that is not an option. The newer Apex and EB832 do have that capability, but that doesn't help you now. The traditional way of detecting if a return pump is not operating when it should be is through use of a float switch or optical sensor positioned above the normal water level in the sump. The high-level switch/sensor is used to trigger an alarm If the float or sensor indicates high water, which could be due to the return pump not operating.

However, your real issue is that it sounds like the return pump does not operate reliably. Is it the EB8 outlet that seems to be turning off, or does the outlet stay ON but the pump itself shuts down? What is the programming for that outlet? Tell us anything else you can about that situation.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Check to make sure the pump is not overheating. Some have internal thermal switches.

Regular Vistor
    Fallback ON
    Set ON
    If FeedA 005 Then OFF

I have it set to auto. It is a vectra l1. The outlet stays on but the pump turns off. Never had this issue prior to hooking it go to this.