Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Strainer for COR intake?

Quote Originally Posted by jgarcia View Post
    you really wont have any restriction if your holes in the strainer equal more area than the intake of the pump. possibly the neck would be some restriction
    That is not correct. The typical strainer that you see on most pumps is the same loss as an extra 90. The one that the guy 3d printed is likely closer to the loss of a 30 or 45 elbow.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    I have one of these low profile strainers https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/low-p...strainers.html and when I remove it my flow goes up by 2 gph.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    That is not correct. The typical strainer that you see on most pumps is the same loss as an extra 90. The one that the guy 3d printed is likely closer to the loss of a 30 or 45 elbow.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.
    You really can't make general statements - the amount of resistance to flow from a strainer is highly dependent on the amount of flow and the design of the strainer. The strainer included with the Varios pumps will clearly have less resistance to flow than the low profile strainer they sell at Bulk Reef Supply.

Regardless, I think Neptune should either include a strainer or make one available. It's all well that the COR can alert you when it sucks in a snail and shuts down, but it's even better to keep the snail out of the pump completely, and the non-NPT fitting on the pump makes fitting a strainer difficult.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12