Thread: I'm trying to understand Email Alarm behavior

Frequent Visitor

I'm trying to understand Email Alarm behavior

I'm hoping this is a newbie problem I overlooked. It seems that the alarm email alert is stuckon by the 1st alarm and does not send any other email alarms. Since I am setting up a new empty tank system I found that the default probe alarms that are "hidden" were causing my custom alarm to not get sent. So, I unchecked them and it worked. Then to test this behavior I made 2 simple alarms based on toggle switches in the breakout box I built.

If one switch is cycled ON/OFF the alarm "Toggle_1 is Closed” works as expected. Alert email for 'Toggle_1' set ON and Set Off both get sent. If 'toggle_1' is turned on and then 'toggle_2' is turned on, it seems that I only get an alert email for the 'toggle_1' event. I do not get an email when 'toggle_2' is turned on. I do not get an email when one toggle is switched off. But when both are off I get the “Set Off” email. It seems that once the alarm outlet is on it does not turn on again, which makes sense. But does not seem rather useful to me. What I would like is to get an email/sms alert for every fault when it happens. Not when only the first fault happens and then when all are clear. I’m imagining a situation where something not urgent sets the alarm ON, like low temp and I am already leaving work in an hour. Then a minute later my floor is wet and I don’t get an alert, when in that case I would run home immediately,or call my wife and open Fusion. Is something like this remotely possible? Or am I missing something here? I’m not opposed to trying to create logic gates with multiple virtual outputs. Or if an alarm could set itself off and reset the alarm outlet maybe.

This is the simple alarmcode.
    Set OFF
    If Toggle_1CLOSED Then ON
    If Toggle_2CLOSED Then ON

Emails are sent when it changes state. If it remains on past the e-mail delay (default 60 minutes) then the message that is sent will be the last true line.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    I did not change any defaults and the emails happens immediately. Or are you saying that if it passes the default 60 minutes it will re-send the last true line. So if I dropped the default time to 1 minute and listed the wet floor alarm last it would send that alarm shortly after it was set? Even if the Temp low was the first alarm and an email was already sent for that and the state never returned to off because it is still low. Obviously this would result in an email every minute after any alarm is active.

hmm. What I thought would happen, doesn't. It is unfortunate that a new notification isn't sent right out when the final active line changes. Odd that I never noticed that before.

Frequent Visitor
    That is what I was hoping, but realizing the read order and state change protocols it seems not likely. I'm new to Apex but program more complicated control interfaces regularly. I'm still setting up a bunch of other stuff and testing so I can fill this tank, trying to poke as many rabbit holes as I can before livestock is on the line. I have a few other roundabout ideas and haven't tried reducing default email time yet. Alerts is low on my list now, but somebody has to have beat their head on the desk with this before.

Quote Originally Posted by Diznaster View Post
    That is what I was hoping, but realizing the read order and state change protocols it seems not likely. I'm new to Apex but program more complicated control interfaces regularly. I'm still setting up a bunch of other stuff and testing so I can fill this tank, trying to poke as many rabbit holes as I can before livestock is on the line. I have a few other roundabout ideas and haven't tried reducing default email time yet. Alerts is low on my list now, but somebody has to have beat their head on the desk with this before.
    I myself consider the likeliness of a critical alarm during a less critical alarm AND it being something that can't wait an hour low enough I wouldn't bother, but you can force a state change with virtual outlets.

Ex leak is critical, and all other alarms could theoretically wait an hour in the unlikely event it becomes true while another alarm is active.

LeakMail
    Set OFF
    If Leak1 CLOSED Then ON
    If Leak2 CLOSED Then ON

TankLeak
    Set OFF
    If Outlet LeakMail = ON Then ON
    Defer 000:10 Then ON

Email
    (Non critical alarms)
    If Outlet LeakMail = ON Then OFF
    If Outlet TankLeak = ON Then ON

If you intend on this kind of complexity, you can also do varying priority like I do in my email so I don't get annoyed at night or at work. Then you get alerts at convenient times for convenient alarms, alarms as they come for more critical problems, and overwriting alarms for devastating alarms.

WeekStop
    Set OFF
    If Time 23:00 to 07:00 Then ON
    If Time 08:00 to 19:00 Then ON
    If DOW S-----S Then OFF

WendStop
    Set OFF
    If Time 23:00 to 10:00 Then ON
    If DOW -MTWTF- Then OFF

Email
    (Non time sensitive like refill reservoirs)
    If Outlet WeekStop = ON Then OFF
    If Outlet WendStop = ON Then OFF
    (Time sensitive like temp and pH)
    If Outlet LeakMail = ON Then OFF
    If Outlet TankLeak = ON Then ON

Frequent Visitor
    This is great Zombie and along the lines of what I was thinking I would try to do. Nice to know it can be done! I'm assuming "LeakMail, TankLeak, WeekStop, WendStop" are all virtual outlets? Where you put the "(Non time sensitive like refill reservoirs)" would be every outlet line that fits that profile and where you put "(Time sensitive like temp and pH)" would be every outlet line that fits that profile, ie. a leak?

One thing that I can't seem to find here is code dumps. I'm used to learning a lot that way (stackexchange, etc...). Where someone posts their full email alert code, etc... I can figure it out and adapt it to my needs. There is only like 15 statements possible here, but examples are priceless to me.

Code dumps used to be big on Reeftronics before fusion added most of its features (such as heartbeat) and the server was retired. Full code dumps are few and far between now.

Frequent Visitor
    So did you read my questions and can verify my assumptions from what you posted? Is there any reason why you could not post a copy of your entire alarm outlet code? I don't want to ask you to compromise any proprietary secrets. I'd just like to see it and learn from it.

Yeah. Those are all virtual outlets. This is my current email code today on mine.

Set OFF
    If Output HeatStatLow = ON Then ON
    If Output RESclosed = ON Then ON
    If Output ATOstuck = ON Then ON
    If Output PumpFail = ON Then ON
    If Output Heat1Fail = ON Then ON
    If Output Heat2Fail = ON Then ON
    If Output FLOATfail = ON Then ON
    If Output WeekStop = ON Then OFF
    If Output wEndStop = ON Then OFF
    If Output HIGHwater = ON Then ON
    If Salt < 33.0 Then ON
    If Salt > 38.0 Then ON
    If Tmp > RT+2.0 Then ON
    If Tmp < RT+-2.0 Then ON
    If Power Apex Off 001 Then ON
    Defer 000:30 Then ON

Frequent Visitor
    Alright, that helps a bunch. The RT+/- 2.0 I would like to understand. Also the Power Apex Off 001. Thanks!

The RT is because I use seasonal temps instead of set temps. The RT represents offset from that days seasonal setpoint.

The power apex statement tells me when I have a power outage or the apex rebooted. If you don't have a UPS like I do that line will only tell you when your apex reboots or if power was lost and is now restored.