Thread: Accessing XML datalog & output log using Microsoft Office 365/Excel on a Mac

Regular Vistor

Question Accessing XML datalog & output log using Microsoft Office 365/Excel on a Mac

Anyone successfully accessing their XML data on a Mac using Excel 2016?

I downloaded Actual Technologies ODBC Manager, but am hopelessly lost and am receiving a timeout error.

I can access the data using http://<your IP address or DynDNS name>:<port#>/cgi-bin/outlog.xml?sdate=yymmddhhmm, but it is not parsed.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

You have to hit an option for the page. I don't remember what it's called but it's like source form or something like that.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

ODBC drivers are for connecting to a database, either to a local database or a database server. There's no database to connect to in the Apex.

It is relatively easy to do with Excel for Windows, but I have come to the conclusion that importing Apex XML data into Excel 2016 for Mac is nearly a lost cause. In theory, you should be able to create a web query file (.iqy file) containing the URL, and then use the Web Query feature in Excel/Mac to load that file and then populate a worksheet with the data. But I have found it to be so inconsistent that it is an unworkable approach IMO -- it does work now and then, but more often than not, Excel crashes (even with the most current Office updates installed) or complains about improperly formatted XML data (usually about unclosed tags). Yet the same URL works fine when viewed in a web browser - data is intact and properly tagged.

The only workable approach I have found (and it's not a good one, I admit) is to use a browser to access the URL for the desired XML data, right-click & choose the View Source, and save that displayed data as a .xml file. Then, open that .xml file with Excel.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    Thanks Russ! If nothing else, misery loves company and I feel better that I'm not totally stupid!

Saving the source code worked fine, not automatic, but that's OK.

In case someone else is having similar struggles, steps in Safari to save the XML file are below.

Thanks again for your help Russ!

M

Enable Develop mode in Safari
    Step 1: With Safari open, go to Safari > Preferences in the menu bar
    Step 2: Go to the Advance tab
    Step 3: At the bottom, check the box that says Show Develop menu in menu bar
    In the menu bar, you should now see a develop tab.

Show Page Source Code
    Step 1: Direct your browser to your Apex XML data using either:
    http://<your IP address or DynDNS name>:<port#>/cgi-bin/outlog.xml?sdate=yymmddhhmm&days=n or
    http://<your IP address or DynDNS name>:<port#>/cgi-bin/datalog.xml?sdate=yymmddhhmm&days=n
    Step 2: Go to Develop in the Menu bar, and select Show Page Source
    Step 3: In the lower left box that appears, you should see a file named either ‘outlog.xml’ or ‘datalog.xml’
    Step 4: Ctrl-click and choose Save File
    From there you can open the xml file in Excel