Thread: Turn off Vortech MP40 pump with battery backup using APEX WXM

New User

Turn off Vortech MP40 pump with battery backup using APEX WXM

Is there a way to program the apex WXM to turn off an vortech MP40? I can turn off at the outlet level but since I have the ecotech battery backup, it doesn't turnoff completely.

Yeah. The WXM can shut it off completely but I think you need to make sure the outlet is still on. I believe the battery backup overrides the current setting even if it's at 0%.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Yeah. The WXM can shut it off completely but I think you need to make sure the outlet is still on. I believe the battery backup overrides the current setting even if it's at 0%.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.
    Thanks! It makes sense. Will give it a try and post the results.

Frequent Visitor
    I'm trying to turn off my MP40s when I run the AFS, and haven't been successful yet. I have the Ecotech battery backup as well. Praveen - did you have success?

Frequent Visitor
    You should be able to set the Vortech to off, since the battery backup is only for power, not speed.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by Detour View Post
    I'm trying to turn off my MP40s when I run the AFS, and haven't been successful yet. I have the Ecotech battery backup as well. Praveen - did you have success?
    Yes I was able to solve this problem.I assume you have a WXM module as well. The key is to not program the physical outlet to turn off (POWERHD_5_8 in my case) because this will trigger the battery backup.

instead, You have to program the virtual outlet for WXM to turn off (VORTECH_4_1 in my case). This will not trigger the batter backup.

Step 1: Click on the 'Settings' icon near the VORTECH_4_1 (the name might be different in your case. Also refer attached screenshot 1).
    Step 2: Click on Configuration icon in top right (refer attached screenshot 2)
    Step 3: Click on Advanced and provide some code like below:
    If FeedA 000 Then OFF

Hope this helps.. Let me know if it works.

screenshot 1.pngscreenshot 2.png

Frequent Visitor
    I suspect I'm just seeing something that is obvious - but I've only been successful getting my anti-sync MP40 to turn off.

Here are my virtual outlets associated with my WXM (MP40_RGHT and MP40_LEFT):

24 MP40_RGHT 7_3 vortech
    25 AFS 6_1 afs
    26 vFeed Cntl_A3 virtual
    30 MP40_LEFT 7_2 vortech

Both Vortech drivers are plugged into the EcoTech battery backup.

Here are my power outlets for the Vortech drivers (MP40PWR_RGHT and MP40PWR_LFT):

7 MP40PWR_RGHT 3_1 outlet
    8 Skimmer 3_2 outlet
    9 Rtn_Pmp 3_3 outlet
    10 OPEN_4 3_4 outlet
    11 MP40PWR_LFT 3_5 outlet

[MP40_RGHT] advanced
    If Outlet vFeed = ON Then OFF

[MP40_LEFT] advanced
    If Outlet vFeed = ON Then OFF

[vFeed]
    Set OFF
    If Time 09:00 to 09:02 Then ON
    If Time 14:00 to 14:02 Then ON
    If Time 19:00 to 19:02 Then ON
    If FeedD 000 Then ON

MP40_RGHT is programmed, and MP40_LEFT is setup at 100% anti-sync to MP40_RGHT.

The driver for the MP0_RGHT is the newer quiet drive, MP40_LEFT is the older white driver (had one fail, so replaced it with the newer model).

And to troubleshoot, I turned off the AFS and turned off and on MP40_RGHT (versus being on auto).

• the pump still ran when MP40_RGHT was turned off
    • the pump still ran when MP40PWR_RGHT was turned off
    • the pump stopped when both of the above were off and I unplugged the driver from the Ecotech battery backup
    • the driver remained at a blinking green when MP40_RGHT was turned off and when MP40PWR_RGHT was turned off (and went dark when I unplugged it form the Ecotech battery backup

Thoughts on why the MP40 is behaving this way?

Frequent Visitor
    So, I grabbed dinner and walked through everything one more time - to have it work exactly as it should, without changing anything. Ug. Driver for MP40 right is solid yellow, left is solid orange and turning the WXM virtual outlet off and on worked. Using Feed D worked just as it should.

So - hoping it continues to work as it should....

New User
    Glad it worked out for you. Honestly, I have never worked with multiple vortechs and I dont see anything odd in your settings. If the problem appears again, Try reaching out to the Neptune's support directly. They have helped me out a lot in the past..

Frequent Visitor
    So far, so good. must have just been a fluke. My controller is suggesting its time to upgrade to the 2016. LOL.