Thread: How do you tell the difference between a PH and ORP probe?

Regular Vistor

How do you tell the difference between a PH and ORP probe?

I bought a used Neptune system for the frag tank I'm setting up that came with PH and ORP probes, but decided to attach the ORP probe to my main tank because it's only the classic Neptune with no ORP probe.

How do I tell the ORP from PH probe in this used system I purchased? Both look alike, both have the same connector, both are blue, one is longer than the other. Both have 2012 dates on them (are they still good?). I hooked up the one with a 19-004-0003 number on it as an ORP probe because I found a single reference to 19-004-0001 maybe being PH. I'm only getting a reading of 120 though, seems wrong?

Both are pH probes. Blue body = pH, red body = ORP for Neptune probes. The -0001 is an old lab grade probe, which was superseded about 2 years ago by a double-junction pH probe. The -0003 is the standard-grade pH probe. At 6 years old, I'd doubt they are any good, even if they were stored properly.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    Both are pH probes. Blue body = pH, red body = ORP for Neptune probes. The -0001 is an old lab grade probe, which was superseded about 2 years ago by a double-junction pH probe. The -0003 is the standard-grade pH probe. At 6 years old, I'd doubt they are any good, even if they were stored properly.
    Thanks. Does the same hold true for a 19-006-0001 conductivity probe from 2013?