Thread: apex skimmer locker flood

Regular Vistor

apex skimmer locker flood

Hi all,
    A guy in my local club had a flood after the skimmer locker overflowed. I've been trying to help and to me it looks like the code is correct. but his apex does something I've not seen or maybe he didnt explain well. I will link the thread as soon as I find out external links are ok here.

here is a cut and paste from the original thread...

What I am trying to do is to turn off the skimmer in the event that the return pump power is lost or the skimmer reserve container is full as evidenced by a float switch in the container. My Octopus is a great skimmer but VERY sensitive to the sump water level, a time delay is also desired to insure the water level reaches the correct point before turning the skimmer on. This setup failed during the storm flooding my living floor because the skimmer did not turn off when the float switch opened. The float switch is connected through a breakout box to the apex AND DID NOT FAIL it clearly showed OPEN on the display
    heres the code:
    Fallback on
    Set on
    If Outlet RETURN_EB8-3 = OFF Then Off
    If Sw1 OPEN Then Off
    Defer 002:00 Then on

my Apex Fusion has three states; connected, not connected, and doesn't know its not connected. It goes into the "doesn't know its not connected" phase during interruptions with the internet signal such as we had during the storm looking at the computer screen it would appear that all is fine, no note "NOT CONNECTED TO FUSION" but it's not communicating with Fusion or the Apex and provides no message telling you that, again all looks normal. In this phase if one was to try and input a manual command such turning on a light the slider acts like a two pole momentary switch, toggling it from AUTO to ON or OFF it will snap back to the AUTO position, thats your signal that all brain activity has ceased. It was in this phase when I had my flood, what all this means I don't know do they all have this third phase?

The code does look OK assuming there is power to everything. I am assuming there is some sort of backup power available, but the exact configuration is not provided. The only thing I can think of is the FallbacK ON. That comes into play when communication is lost between the Base unit and the EB8, but assuming ther is backup power that should not happen. Under normal conditions, does SW1 operate the skimmer outlet correctly. In otherwords, is he sure he has the correct switch? With more info on the backup power configuration, additional recommendations can be made for using the If Power command.

Regular Vistor
    thanks for the reply.

yes we are sure its the correct switch.

the fallback on is what I was thinking there is something wierd about the way its wired. I remember he had a very hard time getting fusion set up and going...and I'm 80% sure hes using a wireless bridge but that shouldn't effect the normal programmed operation of the unit.

meaning if the internet went down but power was up the apex should function normally....however the last paragraph he wrote got me thinking...something is wrong here...

here's a link to the thread (mods please delete if this is not allowed)

http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/...-issue.160250/

The fusion connection issue has nothing to do with the problem. One of the following happened.

1. The switch stuck and had shown OPEN by the time he got to it. This can happen to floats from time to time. If this float doesn't leave a lot of room for extra water when all the way up, it might need to be lowered.

2. There was a power outage. Since his skimmer doesn't turn off for loss of power, there could have been a short outage that raised the water level and on power up the skimmer turned on immediately.

Add

If Power Apex Off 001 Then OFF

To the skimmer code.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Regular Vistor
    Thanks.
    There were big storms in the area that day. I'll find out

Another important thing I did not mention is that if the person has a high level safety float in their sump for ATO or alarming, the skimmer should also turn off when that is high. That will prevent the problem before it has a chance to overflow from events like the ATO overfilling when the main level float fails for whatever reason.

Regular Vistor
    Thanks.

In regards to this line

If Sw1 OPEN Then Off

If this switch opens while there is say a 1 min power outage, will the brain turn off the outlet when power is restored or will it ignore the cmd because it wasn't "awake" during the status change? I hope that made sense.

It would, but he also said it's super sensitive to level, so it could have gushed and then had enough oomph to overflow anyway.

Regular Vistor
    My understanding is it was an active overflow. Meaning he witnessed the pump running while overflowing and the Apex listing the switch as open

Quote Originally Posted by cilyjr View Post
    My understanding is it was an active overflow. Meaning he witnessed the pump running while overflowing and the Apex listing the switch as open
    That line is still useful regardless, but if that's what happened, then I would have him change fallback to OFF cause that could have bit him.

Regular Vistor
    Right on. I suggested that midway down the thread.