Thread: pH notifications at high pH ranges.

Regular Vistor

pH notifications at high pH ranges.

I have a question / comment for the APEX community. I have a DIY Kalk reactor with a pH probe in the reactor to let me know if the Kalk solution is saturated or if I need to add more. I want to program my APEX to send a notification if the pH in the reactor drops below 12.00 so I know to add more Kalk.

It appears that the APEX will only allow notifications based on pH values less than 10.99 has anyone else ran into this issue. Some non DIY kalk reactors like Avast Marine have a pH probe for this purpose and I am sure people would like notifications.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recall seeing that in the past. Since you really only need a high/low indication, you might intentionally miscalibrate it, such that a true pH 12 reads 7 or 10.

Above 12 causes major problems even for chemists with multithousand dollar probe setups. Above 12, alkali errors make the relationship so non-linear you can't even fake it by calibrating with 10 and 12-13 solutions. You could tell if it is noticeably below 12 by calibrating with 10 and 12 instead of 7 and 10 and set an alert at like 9 (would be roughly 11.3) but right around that 12 point readings go wacky with a pH probe.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Above 12 causes major problems even for chemists with multithousand dollar probe setups. Above 12, alkali errors make the relationship so non-linear you can't even fake it by calibrating with 10 and 12-13 solutions. You could tell if it is noticeably below 12 by calibrating with 10 and 12 instead of 7 and 10 and set an alert at like 9 (would be roughly 11.3) but right around that 12 point readings go wacky with a pH probe.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.
    I totally understand. I am not really looking for an exact reading. I have found that even without the notifications it is still very nice to know if the solution is saturated. Every kalk reactor I have used eventually gets so coated in kalk that you can’t see inside but at least the probe lets me know when it is lowish. I am just going to watch the number as it is no big deal if it is low for a couple days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk