Thread: Run Mix Tank PowerHead for new batch of change water

Frequent Visitor

Run Mix Tank PowerHead for new batch of change water

I have a couple breakout switches I'm using to mix a new batch of AWC salt water. I would like the PowerHead in this mix tank to run from the time it is triggered full with RODI and stay on until I test the salinity and turn the AWC back on (closed). I'd appreciate any ideas, there is probably a more elegant or robust solution. I do expect this to be something I should be nearby for, but kids can distract you sometimes.

Outlet: Salt Mix Tank Fill (just fills from solenoid to make a new batch of salt water)
    Fallback OFF
    If PB2 CLOSED Then ON (push button breakout to fill salt mix tank)
    Defer 000:03 Then ON (I need to hold the button for 3 seconds)
    If AWC_On CLOSED Then OFF (toggle switch for AWC enable is set ON, so don't fill)
    If Salt_F CLOSED Then OFF (optical sensor for tank is full shut off solenoid, time to add salt)
    When On > 180:00 Then OFF (tank should fill in 3 hours)

Outlet: Salt Mix (just operates a powerhead in tank to stir added salt)
    Fallback OFF
    If AWC_ON Open then ON
    If Salt_F OPEN then OFF (tank is not full turn off)
    Defer 000:10 then OFF (delay off due to ripples in water...)
    ???????????

I would just do

Set OFF
    If AWC_On OPEN Then ON
    If Outlet SolenoidName = ON Then OFF
    Defer 010:00 Then ON

That will mix until you enable AWC again, won't fill until the solenoid shuts off and defers for 10 minutes so you have plenty of time to disable the AWC and press the button.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    Thanks, the outlet "If Outlet SolenoidName = ON Then OFF" is what I was missing. Also I think my "Defer 000:03 Then ON (I need to hold the button for 3 seconds)" should have been Defer then OFF. It seems to work that way now, I get confused with how apex uses Then without any IF statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Diznaster View Post
    Thanks, the outlet "If Outlet SolenoidName = ON Then OFF" is what I was missing. Also I think my "Defer 000:03 Then ON (I need to hold the button for 3 seconds)" should have been Defer then OFF. It seems to work that way now, I get confused with how apex uses Then without any IF statement.
    Defer then ON is correct for that outlet, though you actually want 2 seconds if you want it to activate by holding for 3 (2 seconds plus one processing cycle that is about 1 second)

Frequent Visitor
    OK, it seems that when I turn Salt_Fill to auto on local web interface the solenoid to fill starts without pushing the button (PB2). Also if I only look at the fill solenoid to activate the mix powerhead I could run it when dry. It is in the middle of the tank and I want it to start when the tank is full, so I added "
    If Salt_F OPEN then OFF (tank is not full turn off)"

You could do this then

Fallback OFF
    If Salt_F CLOSED then ON
    If AWC_ON CLOSED then OFF
    Defer 000:10 then ON

Frequent Visitor
    That works for the mix pump. I'm struggling to get the tank fill to work right. What I want is... A toggle switch turns AWC on/off. A momentary push button triggers fill of salt mix container with RO/DI, but only if AWC toggle is off (Open). The Salt_F optical stops the RO/DI fill. I've tried a few things and this only fills for the 1 minute defer, I can't increase that or it will overfill when the optical closes. I need to latch the push button I think, but un-latch it when the tank is full or I cycle the toggle switch.

Fallback OFF
    If AWC_On OPEN Then ON
    If PB2 OPEN Then OFF
    If AWC_On CLOSED Then OFF
    If Salt_F CLOSED Then OFF
    Defer 000:10 Then ON
    Defer 001:00 Then OFF
    When On > 180:00 Then OFF

Fallback OFF
    If PB2 CLOSED Then ON
    If AWC_On CLOSED Then OFF
    If Salt_F CLOSED Then OFF
    Defer 000:02 Then ON
    Defer 000:10 Then OFF
    When On > 180:00 Then OFF

Frequent Visitor
    I tried that and the same thing keeps happening. When I turn the outlet to auto the solenoid opens even though I did not push the button. PB2 shows as open, AWC_On is open, Salt_F is open

It's because you set it to auto under an indeterminate state (it's not technically supposed to switch to on from first switch from manual off to auto when indeterminate, but it often does with certain firmwares) Close the switch first, then put it in auto, then open the switch (should not turn on here) and press the button for 3 seconds.

Frequent Visitor
    That is what is happening. I thought it was something wrong with the programming and I kept changing it trying to fix it. I'll just need to turn the outlet on in sequence with toggle switch and it should be OK then.

Once it's in auto and has "set" the state, you can just run your normal sequence of disable AWC, then press the button. The OFF to AUTO is wanky on certain firmwares under certain conditions. It just kinda pops up randomly and there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it but it has popped up often enough it has its own name "the sticky latch bug".