Thread: System Design Question

Regular Vistor

System Design Question

Hello,

I am in the process of getting back into the hobby after a 12 year hiatus and am currently working on my system design. I would like to us a Apex 2016 system on my new build but was wondering how reefers are installing/setting up the Apex with the display tank in one room and the sump/equipment in a different location?

My system is going to have the DT on the middle floor of my house and the sump/equipment in the basement (maybe a 10ft drop). For example, how are the lights and pumps controlled via the Apex if the main unit and power bar are in the basement? Are there certain interlink wires that need to put in place that can "extend" the system?

I am still working on my shopping list of what pumps and lights I am going to use but I am leaning towards the Radion 30 Pro or the Kessil AP700 and for pumps either a single WAV or the Gyre.

The tank is going to be a 85 gallon custom sized (32L x 22D x 30H) tank so I will most likely on use a single pump.

Thanks in advance for the help.

What I have seen is people either run an aquabus through the floor and have one energy bar upstairs and one downstairs or they mount everything high enough on the wall that they can run and power cords needed upstairs through the floor to plug in.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Regular Vistor
    Thank you for the response.

I was thinking of maybe putting a 1.5" flexible conduit from the sump area to the tank (in the hood section) for any low voltage interlink wires such as the aquabus. I am just unclear of how long those wires are and if they can be extended.

As for the power, I am thinking of using a few power link style setups (see link below), which will allow me to "remotely" control the power portion of the outlet. Since I haven't bought any of the equipment yet, and am still in the planning/construction phases, I am not sure what needs just the electrical outlet from the Apex or what need special connections/blocks. I believe the WAV pump and the Radion lights have to have special wires run from the Apex to their "control" units.

https://www.snapav.com/shop/en/snapa...powerlink2-wht

Thanks again for the help

Things like radions and 0-10V devices can be plugged into a wall outlet and get their control wirelessly or with an Ethernet cable respectively. WAVs need a 1link cable run to them but no power cord (1link has power built into it).

Regular Vistor
    OK got It. I see that they make a aquabus extension cable thats 30ft so worst case is I can run that through the conduit and have the 1link setup under my tank with a standard outlet and then use the 10ft 1link wires to go to the pump(s) from there.

Do you know if its possible to put multiple 1link wires together (I think the biggest I saw for sale was 10ft) and make a longer, say 30ft cord? If thats possible then I would just need to run the 1link wire from my basement up to the DT and have that connected to the pump.

Quote Originally Posted by falco65 View Post
    OK got It. I see that they make a aquabus extension cable thats 30ft so worst case is I can run that through the conduit and have the 1link setup under my tank with a standard outlet and then use the 10ft 1link wires to go to the pump(s) from there.

Do you know if its possible to put multiple 1link wires together (I think the biggest I saw for sale was 10ft) and make a longer, say 30ft cord? If thats possible then I would just need to run the 1link wire from my basement up to the DT and have that connected to the pump.
    You can put them together with extensions, but the limit is 20ft total length or voltage drop gets too big.

Regular Vistor
    thanks.

I think the plan is to go with the 30ft aquabus wire to under the tank to the 1link module and then from there to the pump. And that will allow me to later add more modules/etc from the spare aquabus port on the 1link under the tank if need be.

Frequent Contributor SuncrestReef's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by falco65 View Post
    thanks.

I think the plan is to go with the 30ft aquabus wire to under the tank to the 1link module and then from there to the pump. And that will allow me to later add more modules/etc from the spare aquabus port on the 1link under the tank if need be.
    I ran a 30 foot AquaBus cable through conduit going from my display tank in the living room to my mixing station in the garage where I have a PM2 to measure the mixing station salinity and temperature, plus I have a FMM module to control a PMUP in my RO/DI tank for ATO and a DOS for water changes. I also ran some poly tubing through the same conduit for the ATO and water changes. Everything communicates fine with the Apex in my display tank cabinet.

Here's my overall Apex module list:

(devices in display tank cabinet)
    Apex 2016
    EB832
    FMM
    FMM
    DOS
    WXM
    PMK
    AFS
    |
    |
    (30 foot AquaBus cable and poly tubing through conduit)
    |
    |
    (devices in garage mixing station area)
    DOS
    FMM
    PM2
    EB4