Thread: 4-Step Process for Nest Cam/Nest Cam IQ (New Units)

New User

4-Step Process for Nest Cam/Nest Cam IQ (New Units)

4-Step Process for Nest Cam/Nest Cam IQ (New Units)

1. Share your camera publicly, and find the link to share it. It’ll look like this… (this isn't my actual UID of course)
    https://video.nest.com/live/ueuUueADjK.
    2. Open MICROSOFT EDGE and paste that URL in the Address Bar. Right click anywhere on the video screen and select Inspect Element.
    3. Find the line that looks like this (search for “playlist.m3u8” without the quotes)…
    <source src="https://stream-us1-alfa.dropcam.com:443/…/062…/playlist.m3u8" type="application/x-mpegURL">
    4. Copy everything between the quotes (https://str.....playlist.m3u8), but DO NOT copy the quotes. Paste that line into the MPEG4 option in Fusion.

Updated to reflect new HTTPS protocol on Nest Cams.

And yes, I know this is already buried in the forums, but 4-steps is easier to filter through than 45 posts.

Regular Vistor
    Works like a champ!!

Thank you and yes four (4) lines is much easier....

Frequent Visitor
    Thanks for this, could you do some screen shots as I am being a bit dumb and cant seem to get this working. Also, I wonder if we could get this working in Fusion using the the Nest option "share with password" so we dont have to publicly share the video without knowing the password?

Frequent Contributor
    OK, got it working using the steps above. Awesome. So, why do you need to do the "Inspect Element" if the URL is the same all the time outside of the UID? The UID is in the URL when you go to the config screen on the camera, right?

New User
    From memory (and I may edit this later) the video stream is not the same as the actual encapsulated video page (Nest branded page). I know there’s a bit of redundancy, but it really does keep it as fool-proof as possible.

On a separate note, I’ve come up with a one step solution to making this work, but it involves the Trident, and I haven’t seen mine ship yet... Wink wink. Lol

Frequent Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaSweeney View Post
    From memory (and I may edit this later) the video stream is not the same as the actual encapsulated video page (Nest branded page). I know there’s a bit of redundancy, but it really does keep it as fool-proof as possible.

On a separate note, I’ve come up with a one step solution to making this work, but it involves the Trident, and I haven’t seen mine ship yet... Wink wink. Lol
    I get that the stream is different, but if the only variable between individual cams is the UID in that stream URL, then we could use that as a base and just have a drop down option with a place for people to paste in that Nest Cam UID that they can copy from the URL of their config page (I checked, they match).

You can also view your cam code on a Mac if your using Chrome just "Control+click mouse" and pick inspect then do the same as stated above. I do confirm that it works as I don't have Microsoft Edge or a windows machine and none of the virtual machine hocus pocus stuff.......

New User
    I just cannot get this to work for some reason. When I use the M3U8 URL I can get it to show up sometimes, but it never comes up on the APEX dashboard. Instead, when I open it, it sometimes comes up. I am sure it is user error, but it is pretty frustrating that it is this difficult.

Regular Vistor

Nest cam on Media Tiles only work with Microsoft Edge Browser

First of all thanks for the 4 step instruction. It really is straight forward and simply. i tried it and it didn't worked for me at first. And now it worked partially. Here is my experience:

1) Share video publicly - Checked
    2) Retrieve the URL via Inspect Elements on Microsoft EDGE - Checked
    3) Paste the URL into the Apex Fusion Media setup - Checked

So after i have done all these steps, it didn't worked. I have tried to paste the URL on my browser and a working stream came out so i am sure the problem doesn't come from the link. After many trial and error i realize that although i retrieve the URL via Microsoft EDGE, I do everything else via Chrome and the video is just now showing up. So i tried to load apex.local via microsoft edge and the video show up on my apex fusion. However when i open apex.local on chrome or tried on my ios app. The video did not show up. I am still stucked at this stage now. Any advice?

Note: I have attached a screen capture of my apex fusion page load on Microsoft EDGE browser & a screen from my IOS App. ApexNest1.pngApexNest2.jpg

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Terence View Post
    OK, got it working using the steps above. Awesome. So, why do you need to do the "Inspect Element" if the URL is the same all the time outside of the UID? The UID is in the URL when you go to the config screen on the camera, right?
    Terrence, was there any update on making this work? I know a number of us rely on our cameras and would love to start seeing them in our apps