Thread: 1link ports (24vdc) and the 24vdc accessory port

NSI Member

1link ports (24vdc) and the 24vdc accessory port

Good Morning Neptune community!

I'm in the throes of an extensive equipment room build for my 300 gallon reef tank. I'm doing everything myself from framing to electrical to the finish drywall. This poses unique challenges because I want to make the room extremely clean with as little clutter of wires as possible. Ever since I got serious in the hobby, I've used Neptune Systems controllers for my reef tanks. Your product is second to none and you're constant innovation is going to continue to keep me as a loyal customer.

Because of that, I'm dedicating this room to Neptune components which means that the connectors that are and will be used needs to be accessible via a wall plate and the cables ran in the wall to various locations in the room. I don't yet have the newest version of apex, but when I do, I will be able to "plug and play". Most of the connections that Apex and AC use i.e. bus, CAT5/6 and CAT3 (to connect the DC8's Aqua Controller days) are fairly easy to find and purchase. However, the 2 connectors that I'm not familiar with are the 1link ports (24vdc) and the 24vdc accessory ports.

Can someone please provide information as to how to attain these connectors? I'm needing both ends, the mail and female sides. I'm casting a wide net here to get answers, I also sent an email to Neptune hoping to get some guidance as well.

Thanks, and keep up the good work.
    Jimmy

FWIW, there are a variety of ready-made cables available for both 1LINK and DC24, including extensions for both types of port, and a DIY DC24/ACC cable.

https://www.neptunesystems.com/cables/
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

NSI Member
    Hi Russ,
    Completely understandable, Unfortunately with the lengths that I have to run these wires, I will need to make my own so that it can handle the voltage drop. Plus it would be great to have these connectors mountable to a wall plate as opposed to using them to make a cable.

If I can't get it from Neptune, there has to be a generic name for these connectors.

Quote Originally Posted by sisterlimonpot View Post
    Hi Russ,
    Completely understandable, Unfortunately with the lengths that I have to run these wires, I will need to make my own so that it can handle the voltage drop. Plus it would be great to have these connectors mountable to a wall plate as opposed to using them to make a cable.

If I can't get it from Neptune, there has to be a generic name for these connectors.
    I don't recall off hand, but there is a R2R thread that lists the Molex part number. They are either Molex mini-fit or nano-fit but I don't remember. Even if you go custom cable, you will be limited to about 50ft because 18AWG is the largest wire you can possibly squeeze into the connector.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

The proper (and supported) solution is to position the modules (EB832 and/or 1LINK) to keep the DC24 cables within the stated max length of 20’. Use longer Aquabus cables and/or add a 1LINK Module if you need to.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

NSI Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    I don't recall off hand, but there is a R2R thread that lists the Molex part number. They are either Molex mini-fit or nano-fit but I don't remember. Even if you go custom cable, you will be limited to about 50ft because 18AWG is the largest wire you can possibly squeeze into the connector.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.
    Zombie,
    thanks, I searched R2R and found the thread you speak of, armed with that hopefully I can find the wall mount versions. 50' is plenty, I'll be around 42' for the longest run.

Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    The proper (and supported) solution is to position the modules (EB832 and/or 1LINK) to keep the DC24 cables within the stated max length of 20’. Use longer Aquabus cables and/or add a 1LINK Module if you need to.
    Russ,
    fair enough however I still want to run wire through the walls to various locations in the room. Thank you both for your help and advice.