Thread: wifi ok, fusion not

New User

wifi ok, fusion not

Long story, but I recently replaced a newer base unit that was malfunctioning with an older refurbished one. All outlets etc are back to working as they should using the older refurbished unit. However, I can communicate with it over local wifi and see the classic pages but I can't connect it to the Fusion website. Before it had malfunctioned, the newer unit had connected to local wifi and Fusion fine for years. I have rebooted and restarted the unit, the wifi adapter, the router and my modem a few times. Ideas? Thanks
    Tim

New User
    Google “fusion no comm”.

I just set mine up (first one)

The base unit was looking for the router on 192.168.1.1 and my router is 192.168.1.254

I had to tell it that address on the display screen and then it connected in seconds

But I’m a new apex owner and that might not be it. I’m sure someone with more experience will chime in soon

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepguy View Post
    Google “fusion no comm”.

I just set mine up (first one)

The base unit was looking for the router on 192.168.1.1 and my router is 192.168.1.254
    This was probably because DHCP is disabled. With DHCP enabled, all necessary network settings are properly assigned by the router.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

THolscher, you need to please clearly say specifically to where you are having trouble linking the Apex to Fusion.

If you are seeing No Comms or Fusion Communications Error on the dashboard tile or in the display module, go to Configuration/Network Setup then check the DHCP setting. If it’s disabled, enable it then restart the Apex. Try again in a couple of minutes.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    Does it come from the factory with dhcp disabled.

Mine was brand new out of the box

New User
    Hi Russ, thanks for the assistance,

To clarify as you requested, my problem is:
    The Dashboard tile, going in locally via wifi, says "Apex Fusion OK" and the display module says "Apex Fusion Comm OK"
    But when I log into the Fusion website it has a red icon and says "Apex Disconnected" and "This Apex isn't presently connected to Fusion"

I did as you suggested and enabled DHCP, which was previously disabled. I then restarted the base unit and waited a couple of minutes.
    Not good. I could no longer get into the system locally. Display panel says Fusion Comm OK. But still "Apex Disconnected" on the Fusion website.

So, I disabled DHCP and restarted. Back to being able to get in locally, Display says Fusion Comm OK, Fusion website says Disconnected.

Any next steps? Thanks!
    Tim

New User
    ((bump))

Anyone have any additional ideas here? Thanks
    Tim

You could try changing the DNS servers to Google ones (8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4). Sometimes helps.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    You could try changing the DNS servers to Google ones (8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4). Sometimes helps.
    It will not help in this case. When the local dashboard and display say "Apex Fusion OK" , that means that the Apex is in communications with APEX Fusion, effectively ruling out an issue with DNS or other network settings.

Quote Originally Posted by THolscher View Post
    The Dashboard tile, going in locally via wifi, says "Apex Fusion OK" and the display module says "Apex Fusion Comm OK"
    But when I log into the Fusion website it has a red icon and says "Apex Disconnected" and "This Apex isn't presently connected to Fusion"
    Have you actually linked the new Apex to your APEX Fusion account? Did you already delete the old Apex from Fusion? If not, then the Apex in Fusion showing as disconnected is your old one. You can check by comparing the serial number listed in APEX Fusion with the serial number on the back of the other Apex.

Initialize the Apex by holding the reset button pressed until the status LED turns red, or 40 seconds have elapsed. Wait until it reboots, then reconnect it to your Wi-Fi. Wait 2-3 minutes, then access Apex Local, and click the Link Apex menu item under the User menu in the upper right corner. Follow the prompts.

New User
    Thanks Russ. I'm hoping that this is indeed the problem - not having linked the refurbished replacement unit. (Duh - kind of like "did you plug it in?". Appreciate your patience.) I just now deleted the original Apex from the Fusion website. I'm stuck on the next steps.

Where is the "reset button" on an old (black) classic Apex? Will that do a factory reset? I really, really hope not. Can I accomplish the same thing via the Display network restart? How do I then get a new Token? Right now it still says Apex Fusion Comm OK, and I don't see how to get a new Token.

I also don't see the "Link Apex menu item under the User menu in the upper right corner" on the local Apex dashboard screen.

Thanks!!
    Tim

You can use network restart (best method) or just unplug it and plug it back in.

Factory reset for classic apex models is the "initialize all" command in the misc setup.

New User
    Thanks Z. Still stuck on how to get a new Fusion Token on a replacement Apex unit that already says "ApexFusion OK" on the classic/local dashboard and Apex Fusion Comm OK on the Display unit.
    Tim

Thanks Z. Still stuck on how to get a new Fusion Token on a replacement Apex unit that already says "ApexFusion OK" on the classic/local dashboard and Apex Fusion Comm OK on the Display unit.
    If it's a classic apex, disable fusion, reboot, enable it, reboot again, and then try to get a new token.

New User
    Just now did that - disable Fusion, reboot, enable, reboot. Tile on classic/local dashboard says ApexFusion OK and display unit likewise says Fusion Comm OK. Kind of humorous since there are presently no Apexes set up on the Fusion website. Still don't see where/how to get a new Token.
    Tim

Just now did that - disable Fusion, reboot, enable, reboot. Tile on classic/local dashboard says ApexFusion OK and display unit likewise says Fusion Comm OK. Kind of humorous since there are presently no Apexes set up on the Fusion website. Still don't see where/how to get a new Token.
    It's been a while since I did mine but when I did I used the token tile on the classic dashboard.

wifi ok, fusion not

My apologies; I thought that you have an Apex (2016), not a Classic so I gave you the wrong way to reset the Apex. Do as zombie suggested - the Initialize All.

The second thing zombie suggested (disable Fusion / reenable Fusion is not a way to fix this; it’s outdated info. Wiping it back to factory defaults by doing the Init All is the only way. The Apex will reboot after you do it. Then follow the Get Started guide for Apex Classic to link it to your Fusion account.

https//:www.neptunesystems.com/getstarted/apexclassic

New User
    OK, thank you Russ. I understand. You've been very helpful. But, no disrespect intended, a factory reset is not going to happen any time soon. As fate would have it (as it usually does) we are going out of town tomorrow for a few days and resetting it to factory defaults and having to reload or reprogram everything is not likely in the next few hours. Plus, I usually end up making things worse rather than better when doing a significant chore like that and need to contact Neptune. So we'll just think positive thoughts and hope nothing goes wrong while we're gone. I can't get in via old school remote FTP either. (I use Dyndns for a website/domain I use to get in remotely, normally, and that doesn't work right now either.) I do get alarms on my phone via the old Classic network setup but I can't do anything about them while we're gone since I can't get into it via Fusion or via FTP to see what's wrong or turn anything on or off. Fun times.
    Tim

OK, thank you Russ. I understand. You've been very helpful. But, no disrespect intended, a factory reset is not going to happen any time soon. As fate would have it (as it usually does) we are going out of town tomorrow for a few days and resetting it to factory defaults and having to reload or reprogram everything is not likely in the next few hours. Plus, I usually end up making things worse rather than better when doing a significant chore like that and need to contact Neptune. So we'll just think positive thoughts and hope nothing goes wrong while we're gone. I can't get in via old school remote FTP either. (I use Dyndns for a website/domain I use to get in remotely, normally, and that doesn't work right now either.) I do get alarms on my phone via the old Classic network setup but I can't do anything about them while we're gone since I can't get into it via Fusion or via FTP to see what's wrong or turn anything on or off. Fun times.
    If you log into your dyndns account and manually update your WAN ip with whatever ipchicken gives you, you might be able to at least get the remote access to classic dashboard restored. Every now and then mine doesn't update the ip right and I have to do it manually.

OK, thank you Russ. I understand. You've been very helpful. But, no disrespect intended, a factory reset is not going to happen any time soon. As fate would have it (as it usually does) we are going out of town tomorrow for a few days and resetting it to factory defaults and having to reload or reprogram everything is not likely in the next few hours.
    I understand. The fact that your older Apex shows Comms OK tells me that it is already linked to a different Fusion account - i.e., the previous owner's account if you bought it used; that's why I asked you if you had already linked it yourself; if you did not, then the alternative is that it was already linked to some Fusion account when it came into your possession.

When a suitable time comes, initialize the Apex, then link it to your Fusion account.

Apexes have no FTP capability; I think you mean HTTP

New User
    I don't believe we've ever bought a used Apex. This Classic/black one was ours from day 1 and was sent in for refurbishment and returned to us. When we did the swap a couple of weeks ago to replace the malfunctioning one, the old Classic still had our programming in it. We've kept it as a backup for just these occasions. I assume we linked it to our Fusion account a few years ago. And you're right, it is http and not ftp. I got my TP's confused. Thanks again.

Zombie, I looked at my Dyndns account and the ip address looked correct (and I didn't see where I could change it manually). FYI to both of you, I just power cycled and re-booted every possible device in our house (routers, modems, Apex, etc) and I still can't get in via http. Oh well. Appreciate your help.
    Tim