Thread: Return Pump Not Running at Full capacity

Regular Vistor

Return Pump Not Running at Full capacity

Hello all.
    I've been using the 0-10v variable speed port to control my Reef Octopus various 4 pump. Everything seems to work okay including the ramp profile I set for it but I noticed that even at 100% it is definitely pumping much slower than it should be. I've even tried removing the ramp profile and just setting it to on and it does the same thing. I have The Reef Octopus controller set to maximum flow but even if I disconnect the variable speed y cable and run my pump at the slowest speed using The Reef Octopus controller, it pushes more flow then at 100% with the variable speed cable plugged in. Am I missing something? I've tested this several times and I definitely need to open my gate to keep up with the flow when not using the 0-10v variable speed port. Anyone else have this issue? Thanks in advance

I get about the same max flow on two VarioS 6 return pumps with or without Apex control; maybe a bit less with the Apex but not the huge difference that you're describing. Might be an issue with your Apex not generating the correct voltage, or a loose, defective or damaged cable, or a bad pump controller. I'd check the cable by replacing it with a different one, and check the Apex by first trying a different variable speed port. If you have a multimeter you can also check the output voltage at the controller end of the cable. If all of that is nominal, only the controller is left to consider.

Regular Vistor
    This may be a double post. Thank you for your reply. I checked the connections and they seem good. I don't have an extra wire at this time nor do I own a multimeter but I was wondering if I need to keep both variable speed 3 and 4 set to auto even if I'm only using one of them. Because I just turned the other one to auto and the pump ramped-up and emptied the return chamber. At first that made me think that I was using the wrong variable speed. But then why would the pump even work at all? I hope you understand what I'm trying to say LOL it has been set to variable speed 4 and I had kept variable speed 3 set to off. I'm going to play around with it some more tomorrow but for now I turned variable speed 3 back off and it's running at its normal slow pace again.Thank you

Regular Vistor
    Well I couldn't wait for tomorrow and I I think I figured out that I needed both variable speeds 3 and 4 to be set to auto and to have the same programming and the pump seems to be working the way it should be. Anyone else deal with this?

Quote Originally Posted by rsnyder1456 View Post
    Well I couldn't wait for tomorrow and I I think I figured out that I needed both variable speeds 3 and 4 to be set to auto and to have the same programming and the pump seems to be working the way it should be. Anyone else deal with this?
    This is not normal. Other than the physical connections for V1/V2 and V3/V4 being in the same jacks, the variable outputs are completely independent. One (IE v3) does not affect the other (ie V4)

There’s definitely something wrong in your case. What cable are you using between the Apex and VarioS box?
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    This is not normal. Other than the physical connections for V1/V2 and V3/V4 being in the same jacks, the variable outputs are completely independent. One (IE v3) does not affect the other (ie V4)

There’s definitely something wrong in your case. What cable are you using between the Apex and VarioS box?
    It's the Icecap Y cable

Regular Vistor
    Funny cause if I run either one by itself with the other switched to off, the pump runs slowly. As soon as I have them both on the pump seems to follow the programming. I can even tell it follows the ramp profile If the program does not match on both variable speed 3 n 4 it runs slowly.

Concur with Russ; after the cable splits from the Apex controller variable speed connector, each lead is independently controlled. One is plugged into your VarioS control box and that's the one to be programmed. The other lead and its programming are not (or should not be) at all relevant to your return pump function, and shouldn't affect it.

Regular Vistor
    Thank you both for responding. I must be missing something. I will have more time over the weekend to really figure this out. If the variable speed port it's actually using is turned off, the pump should not work at all, correct? Because it definitely works with either one. It just doesn't do what it's supposed to until I turn both on. Again let me play around with it some more without any distractions. I have two small hyperactive children LOL and I'm in need of a good night sleep!

That behavior sounds like a short to me. Are you sure it's the Y cable (should have two mono connectors if it is)? If it's a stereo cable, that's why it's doing that. If it is in fact the Y cable, try wrapping the unused one in electrical tape.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.