This sticky post is an FAQ to answer common questions about migrating from an Apex Classic (Apex Classic, Apex Gold, Apex Lite, and Apex Jr) to the newest Apex or ApexEL model, and also contains a migration guide.

FAQs

I do not want to purchase an entire new system. I want to use an EnergyBar 832 in addition to my existing EnergyBar(s) or to replace one of my existing EnergyBars 4 or 8; can I buy the Apex base unit and an EB832 separately?

Yes, you can buy them both individually. This would be the preferred purchase if you do not want or do not need new probes. However, if you do want new probes, then you should instead purchase a full Apex or ApexEL system, which is comprised of the Apex or ApexEL, EB832, new probes (temp, pH, ORP, and Salinity for the Apex, or temp & pH for the ApexEL system), an Aquabus cable, and calibration fluid packets. The full Apex or ApexEL bundles cost less than buying a base unit, EB832, probes, and calibration fluids separately.

What comes with the new Apex base unit?[/I]

The Apex base unit package contains the base unit (controller) and packets of pH 7, pH 10, and conductivity (salinity) calibration fluids. It does not come with new probes nor does it come with an EnergyBar 832.

I have an Apex Jr. Can I connect the Apex Jr to the Apex or Apex EL and use the four outlets in the Apex Jr?

No, you cannot connect an Apex Jr to any other Apex system and use it as an expansion module. Do not attempt to do so; functional issues will result. The Apex Jr is not an EnergyBar; it is a controller with 4 built-in outlets, not an EB4 with a "brain" inside (a common misconception). If you do have one or more additional EnergyBars (i.e. EnergyBar 4 or EnergyBar 8) connected to your Apex Jr, you can use them with the new Apex.

Is the Apex and ApexEL backward-compatible with all Apex modules?

Yes, any Apex module you are using with your Apex Classic/Gold/Lite/Jr controller will work with the newer Apex models. If your module has Aquabus jacks, then it is an Apex module. This includes the EB4, EB6, EB8, 1LINK, AFS, ALD, AWM, COR, DŌS (with or without DDR), FMM/FMK/ATK/LDK, LSM, PM1, PM2, PM3, ASM/PMK, VDM, WAV, WXM, and ADM (Apex Display Module). You can also use your existing breakout box (BoB).

I have an older black-cased display module with a blue screen; I noticed that there is a newer display module which comes in a silver case and has an orange display. Will my older display work with the new Apex?

Yes, it will work. There is no functional difference between the older black display module with a blue screen and the newer silver display module with an orange screen.

I have pre-Apex expansion modules connected to my Apex Classic's Control port. Can I use them with the new base unit?

No. Legacy peripherals from generations of Neptune Systems controllers older than the Apex Classic cannot be used with the newer Apex models. This includes the Direct Connect 8, Direct Connect 4 & 4HD, AquaSurf, PX1000, and Lunar Sim, all of which have been discontinued for many years. Note that the Lunar Simulator Module labeled as "LSM" in the upper right is an Apex Aquabus module, and it may be used with the newer Apex. If it has a blue label with "Lunar Sim" in the upper right, it is the pre-Apex module, and cannot be used with the newest Apexes.

Are there mounting templates available for the newest Apex models and EnergyBar 832?

Yes, printable mountable templates are available in PDF format for the Apex/ApexEL and EB832. Also available are mounting templates for the COR driver, DŌS, and current modules. Download links are in the Mounting Templates section of the Documentation page on the main Neptune Systems web site.

Can I use the Load/Save feature to migrate the configuration of my Apex Classic to the newer Apex/ApexEL base unit?

No; the Load/Save feature cannot be used as an upgrade or migration method. A backup file may only be restored to the same Apex or an Apex of the same model and module configuration due to the internal hardware differences between the various Apex models.

How do I migrate from my Apex Classic to the Apex or Apex EL?

There really is no definitive one-size-fits-all method for migrating... there are many variables involved and therefore different approaches which could be used. A general tried-and-true methodology is provided in the second part of this post.

How long will it take to migrate from my Apex Classic to the Apex or ApexEL?

There are many factors to consider, such as your level of Apex experience and knowledge, the size of your current Apex system, and the extent & complexity of your current programming. A system with a large number of modules and complex advanced programming will likely take quite a bit longer to migrate than a more basic system. A relatively simple system might only require a half to migrate. An extensive system may require many hours. Regardless, allow yourself plenty of time for the migration.

I have a WXM connected to my Apex Classic. Will I need to reset & re-pair my Vortechs and/or reset & re-attach my Radions after I connect the WXM to my new Apex system?

No, you will not need to do that. Vortech pairing and Radion attachment information is stored in the WXM itself, not in the Apex Classic base unit. So all Vortech pairings and Radion attachments will be preserved when you move the WXM to the new Apex system. The names of the Vortech and Radion outputs, however, will revert to their default names of Vortech_#_# and Radion_#_# when you move the WXM from one Apex to another; you will need to identify each Vortech and Radion, and reassign the desired names for those outputs.

I have an AWM connected to my Apex Classic. Will I need to reset & reconnect my AI Hydra(s) after I connect the AWM to my new Apex?

No, you will not. Hydra LED fixture connection information is stored in the AWM itself, not in the Apex Classic base unit; this info will be preserved when you move the AWM to the new Apex system. The name of a Hydra output, however, will revert to the default name of Hydra_#_# when you move the AWM; you will need to identify each Hydra, and reassign the desired name for each such Hydra output.

Can I transfer all of my probe and outlet logs to the new Apex?

No, that is not possible.

I have many Reminders/Calendar Events, Notes, and manually-entered lab (test kit) measurements in APEX Fusion. Can I transfer these to the new Apex?

Yes, you can do that with just a few mouse clicks. After you have migrated to the new Apex, use the Adopt Data feature in APEX Fusion. Using APEX Fusion, on the APEX List, click the gear button to the left of the new Apex, then select Adopt Data. You can then select your old Apex, and whether to transfer Calendar Events, Measurements, and/or Notes from the old Apex to the new Apex.
Notes.

How to Migrate from an Apex Classic to an Apex or ApexEL

1. Read through the entire Get Started Guide for your model of new Apex to familiarize yourself with the initial setup process, and with the many things which are different between the Apex Classic and Apex or ApexEL Start with the basic Get Started Guide, but be sure to also go through the Intermediate[/URL] and optionally, the Advanced[/URL] sections of the Get Started Guide, as these sections contain valuable info such as how to create a virtual output, which is done in a significantly different way than in the old Apex Classic models. Here are links to the Get Started Guides:

2. If your Apex Classic still has the default hostname of "apex", rename it to avoid conflicts and confusion from having two Apexes with the same name on your home network and listed in APEX Fusion. To rename your Apex Classic model, access the Classic Dashboard, go to Configuration->Network setup, then edit the hostname value. A hostname may be up to 15 characters long, and may contain only letters, numbers, - (dash) and _ (underscore). For clarity during the migration process, "Old_Apex" or "ApexClassic" would be suitable choices. Check the Restart option, then click the Update Settings button. The Apex will reboot, and the new name will appear on the APEX List in APEX Fusion within a couple of minutes. Do this BEFORE setting up your new Apex base unit.

Optionally, if you are not familiar with how to get your "Classic Dashboard," then simply unplug your Classic Apex from the network by disconnecting the network cable from it. In the Get Started guide, we will explain how to change the hostname of your new Apex. After you change the new Apex's hostname, you can connect your Classic Apex back to your network if needed.

3. Before continuing with the migration process, consider the devices controlled by the Apex Classic (especially for equipment plugged into EnergyBars) and the impact on the operation of your aquarium and its pumps, lights, skimmer, etc., and take appropriate action to keep certain essential equipment running while migrating to the new Apex. You may want to temporarily plug your return pump, protein skimmer, reactors, and/or powerheads into a power strip while migrating to the new Apex. Unplug any non-essential equipment from your EnergyBar(s) temporarily.

4. Power up the new Apex base unit. If you have a new EnergyBar832, use that to provide power to the new base unit. If you do not have an EB832, you have two options:
    • Disconnect an EnergyBar from your existing system, and use that EB to power up and the new Apex.
    • If you have a 12VDC AC adapter connected to your Apex Classic, you can use that to initially provide power to the new Apex base unit.

5. Setup the new Apex per the applicable Get Started Guide, including linking the new Apex to your Fusion account. Do not create a new APEX Fusion account; use your existing account.

6. Think about which modules will be transferred over and which will not be. For example, let's suppose you have two EB8s now for a total of 16 AC outlets, but only need to use one because you have the new EB832 and you don't need 24 AC outlets - 16 is enough. Another case where you might not want to move a module is if you have a PM2 - it's not needed because the new Apex base has salinity probe port built in (unless you need the additional temperature probe). Yet another likely case where you might not reuse an existing module is if you have a 1LINK module, but do not need to use it on the new Apex because the EB832 has the same functionality built in).

7. Move the necessary modules over to the new Apex, one at a time. After you move each module, use the Modules page in APEX Local or Apex Fusion to verify that it is connected. Update that module's firmware if needed. It is not necessary to move the modules in the same order they are listed in the Apex Classic Module setup page. Repeat as necessary for each additional module you migrate from the old Apex to the new Apex. Do NOT delete a module from the old Apex Classic when you physically disconnect it - you need to keep the logical configuration of the Classic Apex unchanged so you can reference it as necessary until the entire migration has been completed. Do not at any time connect the two Apex units directly or indirectly together via Aquabus.

For these next steps, use the old Apex's Classic Dashboard, the APEX Fusion Inputs and Outputs pages, and the old Apex's Configuration Summary report from APEX Fusion as a reference and as a source to copy programming from. This is best done by using two tabs in your web browser - one tab for the Apex Classic, and one tab for the new Apex; just switch back and forth between tabs or position the two tabs side-by-side.

8. Create the quantity of virtual outlets needed (if you need any) in the new Apex; assign the desired name at the time you create each one. Use the same names as you used for virtual outputs in the Apex Classic.

9. If you use Profiles, define (name and configure) all necessary Profiles in the new Apex.

10. Go though and rename all of the outputs you plan to use with the desired names. Use the same names as you used in the Apex Classic.

11. Rename the base unit's temp, ph, ORP, & salinity probes (if desired).

12. If you migrated a PM1, PM3, PM3, or ASM, rename those additional probes as desired.

13. Rename other inputs as necessary, including base switch inputs, ALD switch inputs, DDR inputs, FMM inputs, ASM PAR input, and PM# module inputs. Use the same names as you used in the Apex Classic.

14. Move your probes from the old system to the new system and/or connect any new probes you have just purchased.

15. Calibrate pH and salinity probes which you connected to the new Apex base unit. Probes connected to PM1/PM/PM3 module which have been migrated do not need to be re-calibrated, but this would be a good time to do that if you have not calibrated them lately.

16. Use the Inputs page to disable any probe ports you will not be using.

17. Go through each outlet/output that will be used, and copy or recreate the programming for each output you will use. You should use the same physical EnergyBar outlet for each item plugged into an EnergyBar as much as possible. Use Advanced Control Type for each output of the new Apex system so you can copy & paste your existing programming from the Apex Classic directly into the program editor box for each output of the new Apex.

18. Plug all equipment back into the assigned EnergyBar outlet, and verify that each piece of equipment is operating as expected.

19. Use the Inputs page to enable and modify probe alarm trigger values as desired. When programming the email outlet of the new Apex, most Apex owners should omit any statements referring to probe values - instead, define alarm triggers using the Inputs page instead of using If probename statements in the email outlet.

It is important to use the general sequence listed above; this ensures that all inputs and outputs (including virtual outputs) have their desired names assigned BEFORE you attempt to paste in programming which references those input and output names.

If you receive errors when migrating programming, it is almost always caused by a naming mismatch, usually due to a simple typo. Remember that Input, Output, and Profile names are case-sensitive. For example, "ReturnPump" and "returnpump" are different names to the Apex.

• An error message like //Error: line 2 - No such output name // If Output MainPump = On Then OFF is probably because you do not have an output in the new Apex which is exactly named "MainPump"; perhaps you named that output "Mainpump" by mistake.

• An error message like //Error: line 4 - Profile must be between 1 and 32 // If Time 08:00 to 09:59 Then SunUp-Ramp is probably because there is no profile named "SunUp-Ramp" in the new Apex; check the actual name of that profile; it may have been accidentally entered with a slight case difference, or it may have an underscore instead of a dash.

• An error message like //Error: line 3 - Valid keywords following If are Temp, pH, ORP, DO, Cond, Salt, Par, Feed, SwX, FLx, Error, Power, Sun, or Moon // If Tmp > 80.5 Then OFF is probably because you do not have a probe input named "Tmp"; check the name of that probe port; perhaps it is actually named "Temp"

• An error message like //Error: line 8 - Valid keywords following If are Temp, pH, ORP, DO, Cond, Salt, Par, Feed, SwX, FLx, Error, Power, Sun, or Moon // If SumpHi CLOSED Then ON is probably because the new Apex does not have a switch input or optical sensor input named exactly "SumpHi".

A few more points:

• After your new Apex has been linked to APEX Fusion and has been operating for at least 24 hours, enable Heartbeat for the new Apex in APEX Fusion.
  • Do not remove your old Apex from your APEX Fusion account until after your new Apex has been fully in service for several days and, optionally, you have used the Adopt Data feature described above in the FAQ section.
  • If you plan to sell or give away your old Apex, remove it from your APEX Fusion account and initialize it back to factory defaults. Info about doing this may be found in this sticky post.