Thread: PMUP shuts down WAV and DOS

NSI Member

PMUP shuts down WAV and DOS

Last night I was in the room where my tank is and noticed the WAV pumps stopped. Did some investigation and there appeared to be nothing wrong with them. There were no alerts in Fusion, and they would not turn on even when moving their sliders to on. Rebooting the Apex also did not help.

I then looked under the tank where the EB832 is. I could hear a clicking like a turn signal in a car coming from the EB832. I noticed the DOS' lights were flashing in time with the clicking. So I started unplugging things plugged into the 1Link and 24V ports. I finally found the culprit. Everything started working again when I unplugged the PMUP.

Any time the PMUP was plugged into either 24V port all 1Link devices stopped working. I also found that just turning off the 24V port via the slider also allowed everything else to work.

I don't like that a bad PMUP can take down all the other 24V and 1Link devices. I would have expected some degree of isolation.

The PMUP is out of warranty, but I'll probably open a support ticket anyway for awareness. It is also possible the issue is with the EB832.

NSI Member
    I soaked the PMUP for a day, cleaned it up and opened it. the impeller is frozen in place. I can't even pull it out with a pliers. I'm not impressed with the longevity of the PMUP. I also don't like that they can shut down other components when they fail.

The first one I had lasted 2 months and the impeller blades came off. This is the replacement and it only lasted 14 months. I'm going back to a Maxijet to supply my carbon canister.

Both the impeller failure and a bad pmup damaging the EB832 24V power supply are discouraging to hear about and have been described by others. Are you using the pmup for continuous duty? I seriously don't think they're robust enough for that, from what people report. Hopefully they have better longevity when used for an ATO that runs 10 seconds or so every half hour.

NSI Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rkpetersen View Post
    Both the impeller failure and a bad pmup damaging the EB832 24V power supply are discouraging to hear about and have been described by others. Are you using the pmup for continuous duty? I seriously don't think they're robust enough for that, from what people report. Hopefully they have better longevity when used for an ATO that runs 10 seconds or so every half hour.
    It did not damage the EB832, but the way it failed apparently overloaded the 24v part of the EB832 and shut down everything connected to it. If I ran one again I would probably have it on a 1Link module with nothing else important.

Yes I was using it for continuous duty feeding a carbon canister.

Your EB832 wasn't damaged, but perhaps it might have been if the condition had persisted. I think I've seen at least one post here where that was the case.

I've been thinking of switching my pmup from the EB832 to an FMM, although the risk of this kind of failure should be much lower when used for an ATO, both because the impeller isn't getting nearly as much wear and tear, and because the circuit doesn't stay on for very long anyway.

It's too bad the 24V outputs don't have the same power monitoring function as the 120V AC outlets. Amps probably go way up when an impeller jams and the circuit is kept closed. That information could be used to both disable the circuit and send an email notification.

New User
    I was thinking of just plugging mine into standard outlet on my EB832. The pmup comes with a normal power cord. Its not otherwise programmable, right? Then it couldn’t take iout other modules if it locked up.

Quote Originally Posted by tunder14 View Post
    I was thinking of just plugging mine into standard outlet on my EB832. The pmup comes with a normal power cord. Its not otherwise programmable, right? Then it couldn’t take iout other modules if it locked up.
    You can definately plug it into an energy bar instead, and I would reccomend doing so if you have critical devices on your 24V or are pushing the limits of the power supply.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.