Thread: Help with heater programming

New User

Question Help with heater programming

I have a second temp sensor what is the coding for the differential correction? Any idea. New to this type of coding.

Frequent Visitor
    differential correction of what? What are you trying to control?

New User
    I am getting large swings in temp from heaters partly because of room temp. The second temp sensor is to be used to help correct that problem. I set the new Apex up the same as my last classic unit. This new unit seems to be all over the place like going to 81 from 77. Driving me nuts. The Classic unit would keep things very even. no big swings.

Frequent Visitor
    I sense you have something set up differently. Does your tank only require heaters, no chiller? What is your heater set to come on/off at? Post the programming.

I don't know how a second temp sensor helped anything without any coding using it as a reference.

New User
    On at 77.9 Off at 78.5
    I have a total of 310 gallons of water between sump and refugium with 2 500 watt heaters.

Frequent Visitor
    Where’s the probe in relation to the heaters? 81 is a pretty high overshoot for that much water.

Are you always using both heaters or is one a backup? Do you use the heater thermostats or depend on the apex to then them on and off?

This worked on a classic apex no problem? All you did was switch the brain?

New User
    The heaters are Titanium and in the sump and the same location along with the temp sensors. The only thing different is I have 2 EB8 with the heater on each one of them. i had them running on the classic as one. I had to split them up because of voltage drop in the new Apex. Voltage would drop down to 106 volts om occasion when the heaters would draw. Love the tech but going nuts with the problems I probably created by accident. Been in the hobby from way back in the early 70's.

Frequent Visitor
    Should probably start another thread. I still suspect programming issues or a bug since the temp goes so high... that’s a pretty substantial voltage drop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Idol View Post
    The heaters are Titanium and in the sump and the same location along with the temp sensors. The only thing different is I have 2 EB8 with the heater on each one of them. i had them running on the classic as one. I had to split them up because of voltage drop in the new Apex. Voltage would drop down to 106 volts om occasion when the heaters would draw. Love the tech but going nuts with the problems I probably created by accident. Been in the hobby from way back in the early 70's.