Thread: Programming a light for an ATS

Frequent Visitor

Programming a light for an ATS

So I am trying to program an outlet to turn an outlet on 3x a day for 3hrs at a time. Will this programming language work?

1. Fallback off
    2. Set off
    3. If time 00:00 to 03:00 then on
    4. If time 08:00 to 11:00 then on
    5. If time 16:00 to 19:00 then on

Please let me know what you think. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
    Tom G

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's one way to do it. Another is

Fallback OFF
    OSC 000:00/180:00/300:00 Then ON

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    That's one way to do it. Another is

Fallback OFF
    OSC 000:00/180:00/300:00 Then ON

My programming language evidently doesn’t work as the light did not turn on at midnight. Looking at your suggestion and trying to understand your programming language. If you would, can you elaborate the meaning?
    Additionally, would you have an idea why what I used didn’t provide the results I was looking for?

Thank you in advance for you help,
    Tom G

Quote Originally Posted by tom39 View Post
    My programming language evidently doesn’t work as the light did not turn on at midnight. Looking at your suggestion and trying to understand your programming language. If you would, can you elaborate the meaning?
    Additionally, would you have an idea why what I used didn’t provide the results I was looking for?

Thank you in advance for you help,
    Tom G

What you used should have worked. Is your clock set correctly?

Mine uses OSC to create a repeating interval. It's on for 3 hours off for 5 hours and repeats indefinitely. Since it adds up to 24 hours after a number of cycles, it starts at midnight.

Frequent Visitor
    In depth descriptions and syntax for all commands can be found in the comprehensive reference manual (some new commands aren't I it yet). You can find this manual in the Neptune links above.

Frequent Visitor
    That was a very good catch with the time. My clock was set for -8 time zone and I am in -5, so I was 3 hrs behind thinking that my lights should be on and they were not.

I really appreciate your help with this.

Thank you,
    Tom G

NSI Member
    If the pump to the ATS is also Apex controlled you might want to add a safety line to the lights based on the pump status.

If ATS-Pump = OFF Then OFF

That way you don't have the lights on if you have the pump off for any reason.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post
    In depth descriptions and syntax for all commands can be found in the comprehensive reference manual (some new commands aren't I it yet). You can find this manual in the Neptune links above.
    Unfortunately, even with the 2 printed and spiral bound copies of the manual that I printed and bound, I struggle with the programming of my Apex. I think that it is a result of simply never really having to write commands. For me, up until now (for the last 48yrs), it was something that I never needed to do or something someone always did it for me.
    Even though I have read that manual, at least 4x cover to cover, much of it is foreign to me because I just haven’t had experience with it. For example Zombie’s use of OSC. I had no idea how that command could be adapted to meet my particular need, it just didn’t occur to me before. When I read it in Chapter 6 before it just didn’t click until I saw the practical use as was provided in his example.

Thank you for your help and advice,
    Tom G

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholb View Post
    If the pump to the ATS is also Apex controlled you might want to add a safety line to the lights based on the pump status.

If ATS-Pump = OFF Then OFF

That way you don't have the lights on if you have the pump off for any reason.
    That is an awesome suggestion!

Thank you for sharing,

Tom G

Frequent Visitor
    So I finally got around to trying to add the line to shut off the lights when the pump is turned off to my algae turf scrubber but for some reason it keeps auto-correcting and changing the word outlet to output and causing the program not to work.

Here is my programming and line 6 is what I am trying to add in -

1. Fallback off
    2. Set off
    3. If time 00:00 to 03:00 then on
    4. If time 08:00 to 11:00 then on
    5. If time 16:00 to 19:00 then on
    6. If outlet ATSfeed_6_8 = Off then Off

Once I type it in, I upload the program and I am given a message that the upload was successful.

The problem that I am having is that when I exit out of the programming screen and then reopen the programming screen for the light, line 6 of the programming of the light is changed to:

6. If
    OUTPUT ATSfeed_6_8 = Off then Off

I am not sure what I am doing that is causing this and was hoping that someone could help me out.

Thank you,
    Tom G

That is normal. The preferred keyword is “Output”. “Outlet” is basically an alias for “Output” when used in that context. If you use If Outlet..., it will become If Output...
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor

Programming a light for an ATS

Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    That is normal. The preferred keyword is “Output”. “Outlet” is basically an alias for “Output” when used in that context. If you use If Outlet..., it will become If Output...
    Thank you for your help and assistance. I will check the function tomorrow after work when the lights are on.

Thank you again,
    Tom G

Frequent Visitor
    Programming line works as it should. Thank you for your help and advice.

Tom G