Thread: COR 20 Reduced Speed while on UPS

Frequent Visitor

COR 20 Reduced Speed while on UPS

Since you can't use If Power with the COR, I am correct in using
    a profile to slow the pump to 10% (or whatever is a good return rate) in the event of a power outage?
    Not sure I used the correct type of profile as COR wasn't listed.

If Power.JPG

Profile COR_SLOW
    COR_SLOW.JPG

COR-20 Program
    COR-20.JPG

That should work fine, assuming you have a 12v adapter plugged into the Apex and a wall outlet, and have the COR power supply powered directly or indirectly by a UPS, and also have Power Monitor enabled.

I see you still have the default “just connected the COR” programming (Fallback 50 / Set 50). That tells me you probably have not set it up properly to capitalize on the IQ-Level feature of the COR. You should run through the COR Task in APEX Fusion to properly tune the COR IQ-Level for your system.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    Thanks Russ,
    Per your Scenario - Ultimate Slide
    1. Yes using a 12v adapter, plugged into the Surge Only side of the UPS.
    2. COR is plugged into the Battery Backup side along with (1) of (2) EB832's.
    3. Power Monitor is enabled.
    4. You are correct, I haven't set min/max. It's next on the list!

Frequent Visitor
    how long can your corals and fish live off 10%?
    is that all you have moving water or you also have power heads on a ups also?

Frequent Visitor
    Sorry for any confusion, that was an arbitrary number I picked to use in the coding example.

But in the big scheme of things, I would run it as slow as possible to keep some water flowing thru the sump. I would then use 2 of the 4 MP40's I have at a reduced speed and set up to oscillate so only one is running at a time
    in an effort to keep the water movement going in order to help oxygenate the water.

This is going on my current 120 upgrade and I'm doing some preliminary coding.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Member No 1 View Post
    Sorry for any confusion, that was an arbitrary number I picked to use in the coding example.

But in the big scheme of things, I would run it as slow as possible to keep some water flowing thru the sump. I would then use 2 of the 4 MP40's I have at a reduced speed and set up to oscillate so only one is running at a time
    in an effort to keep the water movement going in order to help oxygenate the water.

This is going on my current 120 upgrade and I'm doing some preliminary coding.
    Haha I was figuring so. I set mine for 500gph I still get around 5hrs run time on my ups.
    You are using 1mp on each side or 2 on one side?
    I’m doing the same thing. Still need to learn how to set my MPs but that’s later.
    My mos have its own batter back up. But I want my ups to back them up just Incase the other fails

Quote Originally Posted by jgarcia View Post
    how long can your corals and fish live off 10%?
    is that all you have moving water or you also have power heads on a ups also?
    Days and even sometimes weeks. You only need a tiny bit of flow to keep the water oxygenated to prevent a die-off cycle.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

New User
    in reference to the last few posts, i have an ecotech backup coming today in the mail, i want to set my tank up so my 2 mp40s run on low power (maybe just 1 is enough for a longer run time). I am using a cor20 return pump. in the event there is a power outage should my tank be fine with just water movement by the mp40s circulating the water in the display. the sump would be still until power comes back online.

cor20 cant used the ecotech battery right?

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Burrito View Post
    in reference to the last few posts, i have an ecotech backup coming today in the mail, i want to set my tank up so my 2 mp40s run on low power (maybe just 1 is enough for a longer run time). I am using a cor20 return pump. in the event there is a power outage should my tank be fine with just water movement by the mp40s circulating the water in the display. the sump would be still until power comes back online.

cor20 cant used the ecotech battery right?
    Correct COR is 24v Ecotech is 12v. I think it would be a lot of hassle, but, you could always use two in series to get 24v, but, then you have to consider charging, etc, not sure if the COR would handle 28-29v which would be the effective charge on a pair of low 12v cells.

To get best life, m reduce pressure as much as possible, use 1 & 1/4 return plumbing and limit bends as much as possible. I see about 500gph on my main at 22 watts, which will last a good long time on a 1500W UPS. Biggest concern is temperature if you have hot summer or cold winter, UPS/Battery just won't hold up very long on a heater, chiller or fan.

New User
    I'm trying to use the exact Cor-20 Program as illustrated above in the first post of this thread however after uploading it and coming back to check it the Fallback 50 and Set 50 lines completely vanish. The settings seem to take effect but I'm concerned that I'm doing something wrong. Any help would be much appreciated.