Thread: Need a diagram on disassembly of shaft from housing

Regular Vistor

Need a diagram on disassembly of shaft from housing

I'm cleaning my pumps and would like a diagram on how to remove the shaft from the body. Also cleaning procedure?

The only disassembly you can to is to remove impeller shield, then remove the impeller assembly from the pump. Twist to unlock using the tabs, then pull it out.

Clean just like any other pump. For example, Soak in 50/0 vinegar & water for awhile, use a toothbrush to brush inside and out.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    Awesome.. Thanks

NSI Member
    They can be hard to twist open. Use the handle of a pliers to make contact with both of the tabs and use it to twist. Just be careful not to put pressure on the blades as they will snap off.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by dubzy View Post
    I'm cleaning my pumps and would like a diagram on how to remove the shaft from the body. Also cleaning procedure?

For cleaning my pumps, I have not found it necessary to disassemble the impeller from them. Using a 5g bucket with (50/50 mix) 1g vin and 1g water, I remove only the impeller cover, place using the mag base --> mount on the side of the bucket and run the pump at 30-50% power, place a cover over the bucket and run for 30 min. Following cleaning, the flow has improved to the point that moving gravel becomes a problem and I have to re-adjust the peak % of my programming. Over time, I'll dial this back up to max as the pump gets dirty. I have been cleaning this way 'every 6 months' for the past two years...just completed cleaning 3 weeks back.

On one occasion I waited a 'bit too long' to clean, and began to receive intermittent error messages from the pump. The above cleaning processess restored the pump back to normal performance.

I like these pumps, and they have been running very well for me.

jdg
    2 pumps on the back wall of a 28" tall 160 gallon peninsula setup.