Thread: Variable Speed Port

New User

Variable Speed Port

Hey there,

Just received and installed new apex classic on 180g planted discus tank. I am using kessil lights (3 A160) and have them chained. I will be using the variable speed port to control them. However, I do have a question on where to plug the power from the lights. Do I plug the power to the EB8? Or since I am using the variable speed port to control them (time, intensity, color spectrum) do I plug them into a regular power strip?

I know this is probably a dumb question, but I just wanna be sure I correctly use the outlets on the EB8. I have tried looking on the forum and didn't see any previous threads.

Thank you,

David

Kessils such as yours do not dim below about 12-14%, so you need to use an EB8 outlet to turn them off when needed. You need not use 3 EB outlets - you can just use one and a power strip to control power to all three if you’d like.

BTW, there is a Get Started Guide for Kessil A-Series LEDs and the Apex. https://www.neptunesystems.com/getstarted/vdm/a360/
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    Kessils such as yours do not dim below about 12-14%, so you need to use an EB8 outlet to turn them off when needed. You need not use 3 EB outlets - you can just use one and a power strip to control power to all three if you’d like.

BTW, there is a Get Started Guide for Kessil A-Series LEDs and the Apex. https://www.neptunesystems.com/getstarted/vdm/a360/
    Hi Russ,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I read through the getting start guide for the kessil and only saw that it mentions connecting the variable speed port and not the outlet to the EB8. Thank you for clarifying. I did read elsewhere that I could connect multiple items to a power strip and then to the EB8 to save space and currently do this with my return and manifold pumps.

However, I do have an additional question. When I program the output that I plug the power strip into for the lights on the EB8 should I write the code with fallback off, set off, and then if time statements that correspond with the profiles I have set for the variable speed port? Also, I did write profiles for the intensity and color which has the starting intensity as 14% and ending at 0% to ramp lights up and down. Here is what I have:

Profile Name: Int_Dawn (sunrise)
    Control Type: Ramp
    Ramp time (minutes): 60
    Start intensity: 15
    End intensity: 65

Profile Name: Int_Day (mid-day)
    Ramp time (minutes): 30
    Start intensity: 65
    End intensity: 75

Profile Name: Int_Dusk (sunset)
    Ramp time (minutes): 120
    Start intensity: 75
    End intensity: 20

Profile Name: Int_Moon (Moon)
    Ramp time (minutes): 30
    Start intensity: 20
    End intensity: 0

I did the same for the color spectrum, however, color doesn't control lights turning on or off.

Thank you,

David