Thread: My ATO reservoir refilling process code seems to be wrong, but I REALLY don't know why!

New User

My ATO reservoir refilling process code seems to be wrong, but I REALLY don't know why!

Hi!

I've setup an ATO reservoir that I want to refill automatically when it is empty. To do this, I've put an Neptune optical sensor at the bottom of the reservoir (OEILTB) and another one at the top (OEILTH).

To start and stop the refilling sequence with other real outlets, I've created a virtual outlet with this code:

Fallback OFF
    If OEILTB OPEN Then ON
    If OEILTH CLOSED Then OFF
    If FUITET CLOSED Then OFF

(FUITET is a leak detector probe)

When this virtual outlet is ON, the refill process starts and when it is OFF, it stops.

My problem is this one: If my outlet is at AUTO, as soon I use a little bit of water and OEILTH therefore goes to the OPEN position like on the image below, this virtual outlet goes ON.

Capture1.PNG

In other words, the refilling process starts as soon as I use a little bit of water instead of only when the reservoir is empty.

I tought that the coding was ok if I remove the SET OFF command, but it seems that is not!

In case you ask, the optical sensors are not interverted: i'v checked 3 times. Anyway, the image shown above rightly states the actual sensors status.

Can someone help me with this one ?

Thanks!

The way you have it now is correct the way you have your floats configured. Please explain how to determined that it wasn't working, because it was likely user error in the testing process.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

New User
    The virtual OUTLET that I refered in my first post is REMPLI-T:

Capture5.PNG

How come it is ON now with the two optical sensors (OEILTB and OEILTH) in these positions ?

Because it's in an indeterminate state when you first update the code or set to AUTO for the first time. Because it doesn't have a set OFF (which it shouldn't BTW) if nothing is true it doesn't know whether to be ON or OFF and just defaults to its last state. If you submerge the upper sensor, it should stop and stay off (just slide it down for a second or dump water on it). Then if you slide up the other optical it should lock back on and then you can repeat the covering process for the upper and it should stick back off.

New User
    Thanks a lot for your help. Thanks, your trick worked: it is at off now !

Will I have to do this each time my reservoir is empty or only first the time ?

Thanks again!

It was just because it was the first time you put into AUTO. It will operate on its own from now on.

New User
    Thanks!

I would suggest a couple changes though to make this more failsafe.

1. Add a low tank conductivity line so in the event your ATO pump ever sticks ON, it will stop autorefilling to reduce the impact to up to a single reservoir volume.

If Cond < 32.0 Then OFF

2. Depending on how your ATO is setup, you may also want to stop refilling when a tank optical sensor sticks.

OptStuck
    Set OFF
    If ATOopticalname OPEN Then ON
    Defer 120:00 Then ON

In reservoir program
    If Output OptStuck = ON Then OFF

New User
    Thanks again

Step 2 is already setup.

For your first suggestion, it does not really apply, because I may be one of the few (but proud) that use a Apex for a freshwater aquarium!

My setup is a single reservoir that is filled up with 30% tap water + prime + trace elements + 70% RO-DI (each output is open in succesion with a defer command). I automatically remove 15% of my water each day and it is filled up directly with the PMUP until one of the two optical sensor in the aquarium closes.

One day, I will try movinf to reefing, but it seems a bit more complicated. But you guys makes it a attracting a lot.

Makes sense. I assumed it was a reef.

Saltwater with an apex is pretty easy. No more difficult than the freshwater you have now (because you have an apex to make it just as easy). Just longer cycling times and parameter testing if you do a full reef with corals and a few more gotchas to think about.