Thread: Doser and ATK on old eb6 powerbar

Regular Vistor

Question Doser and ATK on old eb6 powerbar

Hi.

I live en Denmark. I have a apex classic system.

Im going to U.S. this month, and I’m aware of the power difference = USA= 110V. / Denmark, Europe=220V.

I would love to bye the ATK and a couple of the dosing pumps.

what do I need to make them run whit the European eb6 outlet power bar? Is it enough whit the link1 module?

thx.

Regular Vistor
    I’d do a voltage check when you get here, see if it’s supplying 110v.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by Waipahugrad99 View Post
    I’d do a voltage check when you get here, see if it’s supplying 110v.

Oh wait I don’t think it’ll work, aren’tthe outlets different?

The DOS uses a universal power supply with a computer type power cord, you can just replace the cord that goes into the power supply and it will work. Alternatively, you can use a 1link cable instead of the power supply.

The FMM/ATK uses a universal wallwart type power supply. You can either use a travel adaptor or replace the power supply entirely if you want a cleaner look.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    The DOS uses a universal power supply with a computer type power cord, you can just replace the cord that goes into the power supply and it will work.
    This is outdated info; new DŌS units have been shipping with a wall-mount "wall wart" power supply for some time; it's the same one shipped with the ATK. The specific power supply varies though, depending on the geographic region in which it is intended to be sold. This is yet another reason that Neptune products should only be purchased from a reseller in the region they are packaged for.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    This is outdated info; new DŌS units have been shipping with a wall-mount "wall wart" power supply for some time; it's the same one shipped with the ATK. The specific power supply varies though, depending on the geographic region in which it is intended to be sold. This is yet another reason that Neptune products should only be purchased from a reseller in the region they are packaged for.
    Good to know. Mines several years old so I have the brick type supply.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Regular Vistor
    thanks.
    so, you’re saying, don’t bye in USA. When you have to use it in Europe???

The cost Price for apex is double up in Denmark, compaierd to USA. So I can save around 500-700 us$. If I buy the piceses I did plan in New York...........

Frequent Visitor
    As far as I can tell, the only difference is the AC adaptor/power supply. The adaptor for my ATK is a universal 110-240V adaptor with a 3.8mm plug. Assuming the adaptor for the DOS is the same, there’s no reason you couldn’t buy them here and either use an outlet adapter to plug the adaptor into a European outlet or buy a replacement adapter once you get home. That’s what I would do, anyway!

If you didn’t want to replace the adapters, another idea would be to get a short, American extension cord, plug the American adapters into that and then plug the extension cord into the wall with a plug adapter. That adds more stuff, but you won’t have the heavy adapters hanging off of the plug adapter. Personally, I’d just get new adapters, though.

Regular Vistor
    #Sleepydoc.

That’s a useful answer and a answer I understand. I have never seen the ATK or the DÖS irl and in my search on the net I haven’t been able to see the power supply, nor the cords, and between you and me, the manuals and the toturials on YouTube and other places, haven’t given me any answers on a quiet simple question. I think your answer made me a lot wiser and I now have to see for myself when I stand in “Manhattan reefs”, the shop in N.Y. In about two weeks time.

thanks!

Frequent Visitor
    That's interesting, my DOS units both have the PSU's rather than plug-in transformers. One of which was replaced Q3 last year.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by charliedenmark View Post
    thanks.

The cost Price for apex is double up in Denmark, compaierd to USA. So I can save around 500-700 us$. If I buy the piceses I did plan in New York...........
    If you buy the unit in the US, any warranty will have to be done in the US.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by charliedenmark View Post
    thanks.

Just to add, as infuriating as the massive difference in pricing is, I would be very cautious about purchasing major items from the US. Aside from the voltage/frequency/plug issue (which you need to check, product by product), the warranty issue is a real problem.

Neptune's standard support model if a replacment is required is for the customer to ship back at their expense to Neptune US. You will then be required to pay a deposit to have a replacement shipped out to you and I don't know if they will ship internationally.

This will wipe out any potential savings in the purchase cost and leave you without a potentially critical system for weeks.

Neptune's UK distributor, ITC were absolute heroes for me, ensuring that as soon as Neptune issued an RMA number, they replaced my failed DOS unit on a priority delivery. I was without a doser for two days.

So go ahead if you think the risk is worth it, but keep in mind the above

Frequent Visitor
    Just for reference, here is an image of the adapter that came with my ATK. As you can see, it's a universal voltage capable, with a center positive plug. I don't know the inside diameter, but the outside diameter of the plug was 3.8mm, so I suspect it would be a standard 3.8mm/1.4mm plug.

Regarding the warranty issues, that would be the main reason to buy locally vs in the U.S., in my opinion. Russ should have mentioned this in his response as well. Like others have said, you have to weigh the risks and benefits of buying in the U.S. and any potential difficulty in obtaining warranty work vs the cost savings and decide for yourself.

Best of luck - I hope you have a good visit!
    IMG_2430.jpg