Thread: Cor 20 iq settings

Frequent Visitor

Cor 20 iq settings

Hi guys
    Got my 20 up and running , all good but was just looking at the Iq settings did the wizard and notice the speeds were up and down , I would have thought it would stay on as high as possible as if the speeds are changing the water level in the sump would change upsetting the skimmer etc , or am I missing something
    Thanks again

Please rephrase. I am very confused what your question is.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    Sorry , I was asking about the iq settings do people use different speeds though out the day and night , if so wounding it change the water level in the sump etc

Okay. Most people don't because the return flow makes little difference compared to powerheads (5x vs 40-100x) and it will affect water level to some extent. You definately could do a different intensity day vs night, but I wouldn't push it below 80 if you set your daytime intensity in IQ to be 100. If you decide to go that route play around with intensities to find where sump water level changes a noticeable amount and stay well above that.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

I firmly believe that the return pump has one purpose - to move water from the sump back to the display tank. Before we had affordable DC variable speed pumps, we used fixed speed AC pumps, which usually necessitated the use of ball or gate valves to dial in the flow rate to be optimal for the overflow and drain piping, perhaps in conjunction with tuning of Herbie or Durso type overflows. To me, the use of a DC variable speed pump as a return pump as opposed to a fixed speed pump offers:

1. greater efficiency/lower power consumption
    2. less waste heat being put into the water
    3. allows the pump speed variability to be used instead of valves, reducing the noise often associated with such valves
    4. allows the pump speed variability to dial in the optimum flow rate for the overflow instead of, or at least reducing, the hassle of dealing with sometimes-finicky overflow tuning mechanisms

Using the variable speed capability of a DC-powered variable speed return pump to induce tank circulation variance is not on this list. If you change your COR speed throughout the day in an attempt to vary in-tank flow, you'll just create problems due to the changing sump water level... it can play havoc with an in-sump skimmer, will adversely affect ATO operations, and will probably cause false alarms if you have from float switches and/or optical sensors in your sump. Use the variable speed capability to tailor the max speed of the pump for your overflow and your tank in general. Then run it at that speed all the time, except during feeding, maintenance, and other such times when you need to turn the pump or or run it at a significantly-reduced speed. In the case of the COR, use the IQ-Level adjustment to tune the pump's min & max speeds for your tank, then program it to be ON (100%) for normal operation.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

NSI Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    \In the case of the COR, use the IQ-Level adjustment to tune the pump's min & max speeds for your tank, then program it to be ON (100%) for normal operation.
    By any chance could you expand on this a bit more? I have a pair of Cor 15's (skimmer and return) and do not use the IQ tuning feature. However, your post above got me thinking that maybe I should for the return. So I was trying to see what you mean by using the IQ adjustment, enable it, and then run it at 100%. In fact, I think mine is running at 80% for the return. Not sure why I chose that but maybe I should look at it this weekend.

Use the COR Task in Apex Fusion to properly set up your pump & IQ Level. You should also read the COR User Guide - there’s a section about IQ Level.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.