Thread: ATK overfilling after reset

Frequent Visitor

ATK overfilling after reset

Although I’m generally happy with the performnce, I’ve been experiencing inconsistent behavior from the FMM/ATK. In situations when the freshwater reservoir reaches empty because I didn’t fill it in time the unit shuts off automatically as it should or more frequently, I turn it off manually so the pump runs dry as briefly as possible.

After filling the reservoir and setting the ATK to ON then AUTO things seem to work fine if the short term. But occasionally, especially after an overnight sometimes the unit will overfill, filling quite a bit past the second sensor. This is confirmed by the checking the dashboard, with both sensor positions closed—so the sensors are functioning.

I’m not sure where to start. It’s a 15 gallon sump.

Here’s my existing code:

Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If Swx10_1 OPEN Then ON
    If Swx10_2 CLOSED Then OFF
    If FeedB 000 Then OFF
    When On > 004:00 Then OFF
    Defer 000:10 Then ON
    Defer 000:04 Then OFF
    Min Time 060:00 Then OFF

Does your setup require a siphon break? Is this occurring when the reservoir is nearly full? If so, you may be getting a brief siphon situation despite the presence of the break. The break's function can be inconsistent until the water level is at least 1 cm below the side hole.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by rkpetersen View Post
    Does your setup require a siphon break? Is this occurring when the reservoir is nearly full? If so, you may be getting a brief siphon situation despite the presence of the break. The break's function can be inconsistent until the water level is at least 1 cm below the side hole.
    That's a good suggestion. Coincidentally, yesterday, I was unable to fill the reservoir to capacity so that seems unlikely—though theoretically possible since the level would probably have been slightly higher than the sump section. Also, if it were to happen at maximum reservoir capacity it would probably have resulted in more severe problem. The last sump section overfills but not to that degree.

I guess I can setup a scenario to test for it regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by nullbreached View Post
    That's a good suggestion. Coincidentally, yesterday, I was unable to fill the reservoir to capacity so that seems unlikely—though theoretically possible since the level would probably have been slightly higher than the sump section. Also, if it were to happen at maximum reservoir capacity it would probably have resulted in more severe problem. The last sump section overfills but not to that degree.

I guess I can setup a scenario to test for it regardless.
    If the full water level in the reservoir is higher than the ATK low sensor, you need the siphon break. The problem didn't ball on out of control because the float switch limited the water level to its own setting in the event of a siphon.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    Yep—I do have the siphon break installed.

Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    If the full water level in the reservoir is higher than the ATK low sensor, you need the siphon break. The problem didn't ball on out of control because the float switch limited the water level to its own setting in the event of a siphon.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.