Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Tablet for Display

Best Tablet for Display

What tablets are you guys using for a display? I'm setting up a new tank and could use some ideas to figure out the best option without spending money on trial and error.

Requirements
    - As large as possible without exceeding 10" total width in portrait.
    - Inexpensive. I would prefer less than $50 but up to $100 is doable.
    - Won't logout or lockout.
    - Will display 3 columns in landscape (I've heard this is an issue with fire 8 HD)
    - hands free Alexa support would be a plus considering the new announcement.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    I am doing the fire 7 but also use my iPad Pro but it isn't dedicated

Regular Vistor
    Definitely no go on the Fire8. Fire7 works very well and toward the bottom of your price range too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jmheron View Post
    Definitely no go on the Fire8. Fire7 works very well and toward the bottom of your price range too.

Is that the new fire 7 with Alexa hands free?

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Is that the new fire 7 with Alexa hands free?

Yes, however have not tried to control apex through Alexa yet. If you go this route, the Dolphin browser is excellent and does full screen.

Frequent Visitor
    I used an extra Ipad Mini I had laying around. Might be able to pick up a used one on-line.

On all the time, displays 3 columns in landscape, will auto dim for day/night with user set time changes.

I have it open to Fusion, but I have used the native web browser Safari and logged into the local dashboard.
    Reason being is I can set Fusion up to how I want it to look on my Mac (desktop) then set up the local page to
    just show what I want to see on the iPad. This way I only get what's important to me at the tank and the screen
    isn't cluttered with stuff I don't need or want to see.

Regular Vistor
    You guys that are using the Fire, are you using the Browser or have you installed the Android app?

Frequent Visitor
    Per the Neptune video, I use the dolphin browser

I found somebody selling a Fire HD 8 7th gen with hands free Alexa for only $30 bucks so I'm gonna see if I can hack the DPI to actually show the 3 columns properly. If it doesn't work I'll just give it to my niece and try something else.

Regular Vistor

Best Tablet for Display

I just watched the Neptune video. It seems amazon has the fire 10 for 109 bucks for prime members. Seems like a perfect permanent solutions for my setup!!

Sent from somewhere

Frequent Visitor
    I use the Fire 10 and Fusion looks real good.

Frequent Visitor
    I just received my Nuvision Windows 10 Tablet and am very pleased with the display. I was using an older Amazon Fire Tablet.

Terrence from Neptune Systems recently posted a video about the Nuvision tablet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NSI Member
    I got my Nuvision Tablet in and setup this week. Very happy with it! Have it set to automatically go to tank fusion page when it starts. This was a great recommendation from @Terrance.

Frequent Contributor SuncrestReef's Avatar
    I'll put in another vote for the NuVision Windows 10 tablet. It allows the 3-column display. You can see mine mounted inside the cabinet door of my Reefer XL 425:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/su...8#post-4808986

Frequent Visitor
    Would you please post the model number of your NuVision Windows 10 tablet? Thank you in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by kennytze View Post
    Would you please post the model number of your NuVision Windows 10 tablet? Thank you in advance.
    Mine is model# TM800W610L

NSI Member
    Mine is the same. TM800W610L

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Mal7887 View Post
    Mine is the same. TM800W610L

So I see the price has gone up on these. I have an old gen 2 Ipad but its so slow to use. So was thinking about going this route but wanted to check in and see how these are working after time?

NSI Member
    Mine actually stopped working this week. It wont boot into Windows. Not sure if it's a Windows Issue or a Hardware issue. I haven't had time to mess with it yet.

Frequent Visitor
    So you got just shy of a year out of it and was that with a constant on setup?

Quote Originally Posted by reelredfish View Post
    So I see the price has gone up on these. I have an old gen 2 Ipad but its so slow to use. So was thinking about going this route but wanted to check in and see how these are working after time?
    My tablet is still working, but I will say the performance is a bit sluggish. I find I tend to just use my iPhone or laptop most frequently because they respond much quicker. Sometimes the NuVision tablet will have up to 5 or 10 seconds delay when I click something before it responds.

NSI Member
    I finally had some time to mess with it today. Tablet seems to be working fine. The boot issue was a windows issue. Probably an update gone wrong. We'll see if it lasts.

New User
    Any updates from anyone using an iPad? I see an old post from a year ago by @member No 1, but I'm curious if anyone has more recent experience, pros and cons etc for using an iPad. We are an Apple family and I would prefer to stick with iOS. I'm setting up a new system and in the decision making stage, but need to pull the trigger asap. I bought the Apex without the display module.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikiwi View Post
    Any updates from anyone using an iPad? I see an old post from a year ago by @member No 1, but I'm curious if anyone has more recent experience, pros and cons etc for using an iPad. We are an Apple family and I would prefer to stick with iOS. I'm setting up a new system and in the decision making stage, but need to pull the trigger asap. I bought the Apex without the display module.
    I use Apex Fusion on my iPad, iPhone, NuVision Windows tablet, and Safari on my MacBook. I see no problem using an iPad for your display, other than it's a bit expensive to dedicate to Apex. The iOS app is reliable and the performance is good, as long as you're not using a really old iPad. In landscape mode you'll see the 3 column display.

New User
    Thanks. Pretty sure we have an old one lying around somewhere (but not too old) that I can re-purpose. OR, I can use this as an excuse to upgrade and dedicate my current iPad to the aquarium. I'm guessing from your reply that you are using a NuVision tablet on your system.... ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast