Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Tablet for Display

Frequent Contributor SuncrestReef's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikiwi View Post
    Thanks. Pretty sure we have an old one lying around somewhere (but not too old) that I can re-purpose. OR, I can use this as an excuse to upgrade and dedicate my current iPad to the aquarium. I'm guessing from your reply that you are using a NuVision tablet on your system.... ?
    Yes, I mounted the NuVision tablet inside the door of my Reefer XL425. I found I don’t use it very often because it’s sluggish.

NSI Member
    So interestingly enough, I was doing some tank work and glanced over at the Tablet. The screen had a slight curve to it, Odd I don't remember that. Did not think anything of it. Then as I was driving to work this morning it hit my that the lithium battery inside is probably failing. Came home today and sure enough, the screen and back are bowing out from battery expansion.

Very glad I caught this early before the battery burst into flames and burned my house down.

New User

IPAD for display

Quote Originally Posted by SuncrestReef View Post
    I use Apex Fusion on my iPad, iPhone, NuVision Windows tablet, and Safari on my MacBook. I see no problem using an iPad for your display, other than it's a bit expensive to dedicate to Apex. The iOS app is reliable and the performance is good, as long as you're not using a really old iPad. In landscape mode you'll see the 3 column display.
    I'm currently using a fire 7 and it works great, however, would like a bigger screen if possible and have a couple older ipads lying around. What is the problem with using these old ipads? I like my fire, but would just like bigger and it's no cost to me. Not sure how I would set it up either, for constant on and for staying on fusion only.

Frequent Contributor SuncrestReef's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed_J View Post
    I'm currently using a fire 7 and it works great, however, would like a bigger screen if possible and have a couple older ipads lying around. What is the problem with using these old ipads? I like my fire, but would just like bigger and it's no cost to me. Not sure how I would set it up either, for constant on and for staying on fusion only.
    The issue with old iPads is compatibility and performance. The Apex Fusion iOS app requires iOS v9.2 or later. The original iPad (from 2010) is not compatible with iOS v9.x, so that rules out using it with Fusion. The iPad 2 (from 2011) does support iOS v9.x, but is painfully slow so I'd avoid using it with Fusion.

I've used the Fusion app on my original iPad Mini (2012) and an iPad (2017) and the performance is fine.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by SuncrestReef View Post
    The issue with old iPads is compatibility and performance. The Apex Fusion iOS app requires iOS v9.2 or later. The original iPad (from 2010) is not compatible with iOS v9.x, so that rules out using it with Fusion. The iPad 2 (from 2011) does support iOS v9.x, but is painfully slow so I'd avoid using it with Fusion.

I've used the Fusion app on my original iPad Mini (2012) and an iPad (2017) and the performance is fine.

Thanks. I didn't think it would be that slow! Thanks for the advice.

New User
    Can you use a computer monitor also ?

Quote Originally Posted by ReefeRare View Post
    Can you use a computer monitor also ?
    If the computer monitor is plugged into a PC, yes.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12