Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salinity Probe inconsistent readings

Regular Vistor

Salinity Probe inconsistent readings

I'm loving the Control I have with the Apex 2016. The one issue I have is with the salinity probe. Its been calibrated with solution 2 times. Both times the Apex solution was floated in the tank water. I have the probe in an area with no air bubbles. I also continually shake the probe thinking it may be air bubbles but it's not.

The fluctuations it reads daily for me are not acceptable. It varies from 34.9-36.4 all the time. The water level is at consistent level also.

Frequent Visitor
    Chart your salinity with temp overlaid on top. Do the fluctuations correlate with temp fluctuations?

If so, turn on temp compensation and adjust the value till you get less of a fluctuation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regular Vistor
    Can you explain how to do this? Or where to look for instructions? Thanks for helping me Vhuang. I'm just so frustrated LOL

Frequent Visitor
    I have the same problem as above and my temperature is rock solid fluctuating just 0.2c in a day. I have been to!d that as mine is new, I have been told to leave it in the tank for a week to settle. Not sure what happens during this time but assume the Apex is self calibrating the probe?

Regular Vistor

Regular Vistor

Regular Vistor
    Well I can see the correlation now. So I should just leave it?

Quote Originally Posted by dubzy View Post
    Well I can see the correlation now. So I should just leave it?
    Adjust the temp compensation 0.1 at a time until it stabilizes to no more than 0.4 ppt change due to temp.

If the relationship is in sync (both increase together), increase by 0.1. If they are inverse, decrease it.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Regular Vistor
    Can you tell me where I can change the compensation?

Can you tell me where I can change the compensation?
    In the advanced tab of the probe setup page for that probe.

Regular Vistor
    3.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Temp compensation should be in the 2.1 - 2.3 range, which is stated in the Help for Temp Comp. 0.1 is not going to do anything useful. Start in the recommended range.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    Temp compensation should be in the 2.1 - 2.3 range, which is stated in the Help for Temp Comp. 0.1 is not going to do anything useful. Start in the recommended range.
    I agree 100%. I start at 2.2 and tune from there. I have seen the range actually extend a little wider on certain salt mixes or for low salinity tanks such as a QT set at 32ppt.

This may increase or decrease your "normal" salinity quite a bit. Don't worry about that at first and just try to see if you can get it roughly stabilized. Then recalibrate the probe and fine tune if necessary.

Regular Vistor
    Ok I changed it to 2.1 and my Salinity now reads 34.6

- - - Updated - - -

Ill wait 2 days and post an update. Also I shouldn't increase salinity via salt yet correct?

Ok I changed it to 2.1 and my Salinity now reads 34.6

- - - Updated - - -

Ill wait 2 days and post an update. Also I shouldn't increase salinity via salt yet correct?
    No. Ignore the number for the moment since the calibration is affected by temp compensation. Get it steady, recalibrate, and then adjust salinity (slowly) if you desire.

Regular Vistor
    Tonight or Sat I'll re-calibrate the probe. I need to buy some compressed air to dry it off.

Tonight or Sat I'll re-calibrate the probe. I need to buy some compressed air to dry it off.
    You do not need to use compressed air. Rinse in RO water and gently shake off excess water. For the first part of calibration, “dry” just means not in any liquid.

https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sho...ll=1#post96587
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    Ok Thanks.. Also I'm going to recalibrate the probe today. Should I have Temp compensation on when I do it?

Ok Thanks.. Also I'm going to recalibrate the probe today. Should I have Temp compensation on when I do it?
    Yes.

New User
    I installed mine and everything was ok, then went to blow out the detritus in the sump. Not sure if something got pushed up in there but it jumped from 35 parts to 43 parts. I'll try to rinse it and put it back in, you think that should do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mandragen View Post
    I installed mine and everything was ok, then went to blow out the detritus in the sump. Not sure if something got pushed up in there but it jumped from 35 parts to 43 parts. I'll try to rinse it and put it back in, you think that should do it?
    Probably.

New User
    Ok, so i was able to rinse it in RO/DI, even checked the plug connection. Put it back in and it started off fine, but it's slowing creeping back up. I have no clue what's going on here, but is there a way to reset it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mandragen View Post
    Ok, so i was able to rinse it in RO/DI, even checked the plug connection. Put it back in and it started off fine, but it's slowing creeping back up. I have no clue what's going on here, but is there a way to reset it?
    You recalibrate it.

New User
    I just set up my Apex 2016 this past Monday. I calibrated the salinity probe with no issues but The reading is off the chart at 98. I pretty sure this not correct because my fish are still alive. The day before I set up the Apex I did a water change which I do every two weeks ...

It’s been high since the beginning started at 93 to currently 98.

Any suggestions???

Quote Originally Posted by csanchez07 View Post
    I just set up my Apex 2016 this past Monday. I calibrated the salinity probe with no issues but The reading is off the chart at 98. I pretty sure this not correct because my fish are still alive. The day before I set up the Apex I did a water change which I do every two weeks ...

It’s been high since the beginning started at 93 to currently 98.

Any suggestions???
    That definately was not done without issues if you got that reading. Recalibrate and make sure to follow the instructions to a T. Also make sure the packet temp matches tank temp exactly as this part isn't well spelled out in the instructions. Make sure to rinse in RODI and pat dry with a paper towel for the dry step and make sure there are no bubbles when you do the wet step.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast