Thread: WAV pumps for peninsula tank

Frequent Visitor

WAV pumps for peninsula tank

I am planning a 120 gallon peninsula tank, view-able from three sides. Can one or two WAVs give me good circulation without impeding the view? btw, I am using external overflow.

Yes. Two is better for redundancy purposes, but they are very powerful. In my 65 gallon I can't go above 25% without turning the tank into a sandstorm.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

I would use two for a 120, both mounted on the back end.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    Hi there zombie and RussM. If I understand you right, I can set up my mixed reef peninsula with two WAVs on the non-viewing end. Thus, the water flow on the opposite end will be adequate to prevent detritus build up in the sand bed as well as keeping selective (not all) SPS happy.

I have been planning my upgrade from a 30 gallon rimless nano for months. Being comfortable with the WAV powerheads is my last step before I order the tank.

You should be more than fine with two on the non viewing side. I would suggest angling them so they hit the walls, aren't completely symmetrical and are somewhat anti-sync (either using antisync mode or varying intensities so they peak and fall at different times in the wizard) so the point of confluence will vary throughout the day and won't create a sandstorm where the two flow paths would meet at the other end of the tank.

Frequent Visitor

Cool, now ready to order

Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    You should be more than fine with two on the non viewing side. I would suggest angling them so they hit the walls, aren't completely symmetrical and are somewhat anti-sync (either using antisync mode or varying intensities so they peak and fall at different times in the wizard) so the point of confluence will vary throughout the day and won't create a sandstorm where the two flow paths would meet at the other end of the tank.

Great news. I really wanted to use the WAV rather than the Gyre, and now I can confidently move forward with ordering and set up.