Thread: Cor20 Flow Rate Reduction over time??

Cor20 Flow Rate Reduction over time??

Hey guys,
    So my Cor20 seems to decrease flow rate over a 2-3 week period. I have my iq set at 33 percent. My flow rate is averaging about 220 GPH.... It then slowly starts to slow down. To the point where water levels rise.

I then take apart the COR, and it seems pretty clean. Not much gunk. I then reseat the o ring, screw it back together and fire it up. Goes right back to faster speeds.
    What am I missing??

Tonight I took it apart and it was nearly clean. Last time I took it apart was 2 weeks back....

Thoughts????
    I’ve had pump for around 3 months.... I think I have gone through this now 3 times. The first time, the pump had some grime in it, yet last 2 times was the scenario I stated above. Soon after cleaning had to be taken apart only to find it pretty clean....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bueler Bueler??????

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthSimon View Post
    Bueler Bueler??????
    I’m seeing the same thing over the past month. I’m running at 100% and was seeing just under 600gph and now I’m down to 515

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regular Vistor
    Shouldn't an Apex tech be on here giving some advice! Been waiting to get one of these pumps for an eternity and seeing posts like this is not very good at all!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wiljuchi View Post
    Shouldn't an Apex tech be on here giving some advice! Been waiting to get one of these pumps for an eternity and seeing posts like this is not very good at all!!!
    Apex tech's are on support tickets. They are not directly involved in the forums, which is a volunteer community forum not a tech support forum.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

I think the above poster took and reposted a link to this thread to the Facebook Community Forum. Seems to be angry.... NO idea why.....
    My Cor20 has been fine since. It's very possible that even though it looked clean, there may have been some sort of tiny clog slowing it down... If that's the case, I am happy the flow sensor caught it.
    The other senario is my flow sensor had something stuck inside and the debris gets dislodged when I take the plumbing apart. I have full faith in the Cor20 and my issue seems to have worked itself out for now....
    I am pretty sure it must have been something on my end..... The Cor is an amazing pump..... Was just sharing my issue.....

Regular Vistor

Cor20 Flow Rate Reduction over time??

Not angry, just pretty dissapointed with Apex kit recently. I can't see how a tiny bit of dirt would have such a huge impact on the flow, i've had return pumps with loads of gunge in them and the flow has stayed the same. You also aren't the only person to have highlighted this issue, hence the questions. I've been waiting patiently for the COR pump for years, but if it really is that sensitive to a bit of dirt in it then perhaps i should look elsewhere.

New User
    I'm happy with mine as well. I think if anyone is on the fence about going for the 15 or the 20 go for the 20. I really like the idea of one less cord in my mess of cables but now considering ordering a 20. Less work than upsizing the plumbing in my waterbox.

Frequent Visitor
    I've been running a COR20 since last January and about a month or two ago, I noticed the flow was reduced. I don't have a flow meter, rather I noticed the level dropping in my beananimal overflow. Since I hadn't adjusted anything, the only thing that would explain that was more flow down the siphon standpipe (virtually impossible,) or reduced output from the COR.

I tried turning it off and letting water siphon back to see if there was a snail or some debris that would get flushed out with no change. Next, I took it out and ran it in a 50% vinegar/DI water bath for 6 hours. It seemed to be better for a couple days but has been slowly getting worse again. When I initially set it up, I had it running at 70%/60 watts. Not it's running at 80%/67 watts for the same output. Unfortunately, I didn't note the RPMs when I set it up, so I can't compare those.

Next step is to remove it and disassemble it. unless there are other ideas out there?

Frequent Visitor
    Totally normal to see a slow and steady decline in output. Detritus, and buildup on the pump, impeller, tubing walls, pipe walls. Remember, Nobody ever monitored outputs this closely before. You are now seeing what's been happening all along, always.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Delmo View Post
    Totally normal to see a slow and steady decline in output. Detritus, and buildup on the pump, impeller, tubing walls, pipe walls. Remember, Nobody ever monitored outputs this closely before. You are now seeing what's been happening all along, always.
    I have to disagree with you there - I’ve been running a Beananimal overflow for several years, first with a Fluval SP4, then a Varios6 and now a COR-20. I don’t have a flow meter, but neither the Fluval nor the Varios ever had enough of a drop in output to notice in the overflow. The COR20 has been running for about 4 months and I had to increase the output from 70% up to 80% to maintain the same flow. That’s almost a 15% change. I took the COR20 out to clean it and put the Varios back and the levels were completely normal, meaning the difference was in the pump, not the plumbing. The COR had some buildup on the blade of the impeller and on the magnet which I cleaned. It was by no means excessive, and nothing I would have expected to have a significant impact on the flow but when I replaced the pump it is once again producing enough flow at 70%, so evidently it was enough.

I’ll see how it behaves with time, but seeing a 15% drop in flow over just 4 months seems a bit high to me.

Frequent Visitor
    I don't disagree, that you may have a Cor20 issue, but a small steady decline is the norm with all pumps, until cleaned.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk