Thread: Viewing Outlet/Profile Dependencies

Regular Vistor

Lightbulb Viewing Outlet/Profile Dependencies

I have made some changes to my programming and it is a pain having to go through each outlet to determine if something is being used. I know that I could use "Profiles" instead, but at the same time just programming something directly to the outlet work best (even knowing what is dependent on the profiles helps).

Wouldn't it be awesome if there could be a "Dependencies" list when you are viewing an outlet/profile, etc.?

That way when you are programming, you do not forget something. Similar to how SQL Server and other programming languages show you what items are dependent on the table/view/stored procedure.

I would imaging that it could be something that would be not too difficult to accomplish and would DEFINITELY make programming much easier from a standpoint of know what is dependent on what.

Thoughts?

For instance: I removed one of my leak detection probes and replaced it with an optical sensor. The 2 have totally different purposes and if I hadn't gone through all of my outlets, bad things could have happened. Pumps could have shutoff, ATO wouldn't have worked, skimmer would have shutdown, the list goes on.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by mitch91175 View Post
    I have made some changes to my programming and it is a pain having to go through each outlet to determine if something is being used. I know that I could use "Profiles" instead, but at the same time just programming something directly to the outlet work best (even knowing what is dependent on the profiles helps).

Wouldn't it be awesome if there could be a "Dependencies" list when you are viewing an outlet/profile, etc.?

That way when you are programming, you do not forget something. Similar to how SQL Server and other programming languages show you what items are dependent on the table/view/stored procedure.

I would imaging that it could be something that would be not too difficult to accomplish and would DEFINITELY make programming much easier from a standpoint of know what is dependent on what.

Thoughts?

For instance: I removed one of my leak detection probes and replaced it with an optical sensor. The 2 have totally different purposes and if I hadn't gone through all of my outlets, bad things could have happened. Pumps could have shutoff, ATO wouldn't have worked, skimmer would have shutdown, the list goes on.
    2018-04-14_10-51-59.png

I actually made this same suggestion on the "things you would like to see added" thread as well. I suggested a "where used" link but pretty much the same thing.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazie4Acans View Post
    I actually made this same suggestion on the "things you would like to see added" thread as well. I suggested a "where used" link but pretty much the same thing.
    Do you know how long ago that was? Just wanting to see if you have had any responses about the suggestion.

Rarely do you see any response to feature requests. that only way you know about it is when they show up in the release notes for a new firmware/AOS.

Regular Vistor
    Would be great to at least know if something like this would even be considered as it is so important to properly programming the unit. You could literally nuke your system by making a change and not realizing that the change also has an affect on another outlets/virtual outlets, etc.

The Apex is becoming (already is) as massive system for some and when you have a bunch of virtual outlets, profiles, outlets, scheduled that rely on other programming in the system, it ROYALLY sucks having to go through each device, outlet, etc to know that you have everything taken care of. I know for a fact that this is something that they could do in a matter of minutes (they already do renaming throughout if you change the name of an outlet, etc). So all they have to do it likely a "SELECT WHERE EXISTS" or a "SELECT WHERE LIKE" SQL statement and display it as a list. They already have mostly ALL of the code to do so.

You honestly would have to be a moron to not see the benefit of something so simple, yet extremely effective. Just my $0.02.

I have avoided it by having virtual outlets that contain the coding of the limits or parameters that it needs to react to. Then my other outlets react off of the virtual outlet only. This prevents me from having to go change code in other places yet still allows me to make a change to the input limits or ranges.

I agree that what you said is a nice thing to have but I've been using Apex's for a long time now and never seen a response to a feature request It may happen some day but as of now it isn't happening.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazie4Acans View Post
    I have avoided it by having virtual outlets that contain the coding of the limits or parameters that it needs to react to. Then my other outlets react off of the virtual outlet only. This prevents me from having to go change code in other places yet still allows me to make a change to the input limits or ranges.

I agree that what you said is a nice thing to have but I've been using Apex's for a long time now and never seen a response to a feature request It may happen some day but as of now it isn't happening.

That seems like the only good way to deal with it. I will just have to change everything over to virtual outlet control.