Thread: EB832 connecting Solenoid and pump on the 24v

Regular Vistor

EB832 connecting Solenoid and pump on the 24v

I was thinking of connecting them on the 832 instead of the FFM so I dont have to power the FFM and less cables. But I read that if the solenoid or pump has an electrical issue it will send the 832 to go crazy. Has this issue been solved

Here is one post
    https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sho...ing-Everything!

And another

https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sho...wn-WAV-and-DOS

That is technically true of any 24V or 1link device. If a device shorts, it could affect every other 24V device on the same power supply. It is a hardware limitation and not something neptune can resolve. If you have another 24V device that you consider critical, seperate them between the FMM and the EB832.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Regular Vistor
    Thank you zombie. What worries me is why would it affect all 8 outlets if a short does happen. I would think it should only affect the 2, 24v ports. I am not an engineer so I have no idea how it all works. I think it would be safer to power the Pump or Solen through the FFM so I they fail (I know its rare) it will only affect the FFM. I would think the 832 would be better of without the ports. FYI not bashing I love Neptune products.

Quote Originally Posted by flex13 View Post
    Thank you zombie. What worries me is why would it affect all 8 outlets if a short does happen. I would think it should only affect the 2, 24v ports. I am not an engineer so I have no idea how it all works. I think it would be safer to power the Pump or Solen through the FFM so I they fail (I know its rare) it will only affect the FFM. I would think the 832 would be better of without the ports. FYI not bashing I love Neptune products.
    The short answer is when you short the something on the output of a power supply (all 24V stuff shares a 100W power supply), the output voltage goes way down and if it goes down low enough nothing else connected to it has enough "juice" to actually run. There are protective circuits to help prevent this, but they don't fully stop the problem.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    (all 24V stuff shares a 100W power supply).
    Ah the makes complete sense. Now if you where me LOL what would you do? Power through the 832 or FFM? I wont hold you too it LOL

Quote Originally Posted by flex13 View Post
    Ah the makes complete sense. Now if you where me LOL what would you do? Power through the 832 or FFM? I wont hold you too it LOL
    You want to set your tank up in a way that if any one thing fails, anything critical (especially flow) will have some sort of backup to keep the tank alive until you can fix the problem. I do not know the full details of your system, so exactly how you achieve that goal can take many forms.

Regular Vistor
    Got it, thanks