Thread: AI Hydra HD support

Frequent Visitor

AI Hydra HD support

Terrance says the

AI HYDRA HD/ and PrimeHD SUPPORT
    We will be releasing beta version of support for these lights in the coming weeks. No additional hardware is required. We will be demoing this at RAP as well.
    Is there any news on this since it was several weeks ago?

Also, it says
    No additional hardware is required
    does this mean it works straight from the Apex 2016 brain unit with no extra modules?

They demo'd this at RAP Orlando. It works with Fusion and any Apex unit. There is a way to add the device to fusion (this is the part that is coming) and then the light shows up as a module in Fusion so that you can program it.

I haven't seen it hit the beta yet but I saw it working in person at RAP.

Quote Originally Posted by Batty View Post

Also, it says does this mean it works straight from the Apex 2016 brain unit with no extra modules?
    Yes. It would even work with just a brain and power supply. You wouldn't even need an energy bar to make it work.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    I was at RAP in Orlando and missed this Fingers crossed its soon

They had three different lights on the large tank in the center of the booth back against the backdrop. Two of them were AI HD's (a 26 and 52) and the other one was a different brand (can't remember which one) and they were running from fusion and controllable without extra hardware.

New User
    No word on AI Vegas? I’d love to ditch my director. The thing fails more than I’d like. Come home to a light stuck on once a month.

Quote Originally Posted by ricky2h4 View Post
    No word on AI Vegas? I’d love to ditch my director. The thing fails more than I’d like. Come home to a light stuck on once a month.
    AI Vega has been controllable by Apexes for many years. You’ll need an AWM module. But that module has been discontinued so you’ll have to search for a used one.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    AI Vega has been controllable by Apexes for many years. You’ll need an AWM module. But that module has been discontinued so you’ll have to search for a used one.
    You can use that to control the hydra too right? I’m wondering if I’ll ever be able to just plug my Vegas into the unit like it looks like is happening with the hydra.

Frequent Visitor
    You can use that to control the hydra too right? I’m wondering if I’ll ever be able to just plug my Vegas into the unit like it looks like is happening with the hydra.
    I am running Hydras. They don't "plug in" to any unit. You need an AWM.

New User

AI Hydra HD support

Quote Originally Posted by wwanthony View Post
    I am running Hydras. They don't "plug in" to any unit. You need an AWM.
    I realize this but this thread is about people with hydras getting the ability to plug directly into the unit in the near future.

Right now it doesn’t look like there is much difference between the director I use now and the AWM. I’m not sure I want to spend money on a discontinued unit if the ability to do it a better way is coming soon.

Edit: just realized I’m wording this wrong. Obviously you can plug into the apex but it sounds like fusion will pick up the AI interface to program the lights wirelessly. So you will be able to program AI lights without a module. I’m hoping this works for Vegas.

NSI Member
    I realize this but this thread is about people with hydras getting the ability to plug directly into the unit in the near future.

Right now it doesn’t look like there is much difference between the director I use now and the AWM. I’m not sure I want to spend money on a discontinued unit if the ability to do it a better way is coming soon.

Edit: just realized I’m wording this wrong. Obviously you can plug into the apex but it sounds like fusion will pick up the AI interface to program the lights wirelessly. So you will be able to program AI lights without a module. I’m hoping this works for Vegas.
    Older Hydra's (non HD) and vega would still require an AWM. The upcoming feature is only for the HD type AI lights.

Hydra & Vega are significantly different than Hydra HD in the way they are controlled. Hydra (not HD) and Vega requires the AWM; these use a proprietary wireless protocol, not Wi-Fi.

Hydra HD uses Wi-Fi.

You will never be able to control the older generation via Apex without an AWM. The new stuff coming enables control of Prime HD and Hydra HD only - not the older Hydra and Vega.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholb View Post
    Older Hydra's (non HD) and vega would still require an AWM. The upcoming feature is only for the HD type AI lights.
    This. Any legacy AI lights: Sols, Vegas, Hydras (non HD) need the AWM. The current HD products, implementation.....TBD.

New User
    Thanks guys. Guess I’ll just stick with my director. Doesn’t seem like hunting down a discontinued unit that looks to be essentially the same thing is worth it.

NSI Member
    I used a director for a couple years before switching to an AWM last month. The director will work fine controlling the lights. The only reason I switched is because I wanted to do some light settings based on on Apex feed modes. I now have feed mode 'C' (for camera)set to stop the WAV pumps, bump the lighting to 100%, and shift the color warmer. I use this for taking tank pictures. I also have feed mode 'D' (for darkroom) set to turn on just the red lights at a low power for night viewing.

I do find the Apex Fusion interface easier to program the set points for my daily lighting. The director has the same function, but took more clicking around to set up and get the colors profiles where I wanted them. It is also easy in the Director to miss a save or OK button. Then you are troubleshooting why the lights aren't acting like you thought they should.

New User
    From the AI Prime HD demo @RAP, it appears the Apex does not support the ability to increase the channels above 100%...
    that was one of the main selling points of the AI Prime HD, was to go over 100% power by 'borrowing' unused power from other channels.

Can Neptune confirm that the ability to 'go over 100% power' will be there ?

HyperDrive is most definitely available in the forthcoming Apex support for AI Prime HD and Hydra HD.