Thread: Needed hardware for multiple tanks

New User

Needed hardware for multiple tanks

I currently have a apex gold that I picked up used from one of the reef forums. This will do everything I am currently looking to do with my main display tank. I have 2 EB8's

I am looking to make my life easier and cut down on equipment controls. I thought it would be nice to be able to control heater, conductivity, simple light, and maybe a pump in my quarantine tank. Also a heater, conductivity, and a pump in my mixing station.

Would this even be cost effective? What would be the cheapest and simplest way to achieve this?

Get a PM2 and cond probe where you want to measure conductivity and add an EB4 where you need outlets. You will also want a temp probe for the QT. Get whatever length aquabus cable you need to reach over to the QT and mixing station.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

New User
    So all I would need for the apex to control the other two heaters would be 2 more temp probes?

Quote Originally Posted by Iplumbsome View Post
    So all I would need for the apex to control the other two heaters would be 2 more temp probes?
    The mixing barrel doesn't even really need a temp probe. Just the cond probe and PM2 if you want to monitor conductivity. You can add one if you want to improve accuracy with temp compensation.

All you need to run the other tank is some free outlets and a temp probe (which requires a PM module, but the PM2 for conductivity covers that).

New User
    Sorry for the simple questions. I haven't even gotten around to setting my apex up and I am sure this would make much more sense once I do. Just so I am clear. My apex gold will take care of everything on my display tank. If I want to read conductivity at my QT and mixing station I would need a PM2 and cond. probe for each one correct? Than if wanted I could add an additional temp probe to each PM2 one for QT and one for mixing station? Like I said I have 2 EB8's already, but if I needed more outlets it would be just a matter of getting another one of those or a EB4. Also I am assuming I program each heater outlet to read the temp probes and that will turn heaters on and off correct or isn't it that simple?

Quote Originally Posted by Iplumbsome View Post
    Sorry for the simple questions. I haven't even gotten around to setting my apex up and I am sure this would make much more sense once I do. Just so I am clear. My apex gold will take care of everything on my display tank. If I want to read conductivity at my QT and mixing station I would need a PM2 and cond. probe for each one correct? Than if wanted I could add an additional temp probe to each PM2 one for QT and one for mixing station? Like I said I have 2 EB8's already, but if I needed more outlets it would be just a matter of getting another one of those or a EB4. Also I am assuming I program each heater outlet to read the temp probes and that will turn heaters on and off correct or isn't it that simple?
    That is correct. The temp probe is required on the QT and optional on the mixing tank.

The heaters can go as complicated or simple as you want. You can go as simple as using the heater type code and tell it the name of the probe you want it to follow and what range you want it all the way to using advanced type with levels and levels of failsafes.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    That is correct. The temp probe is required on the QT and optional on the mixing tank.

The heaters can go as complicated or simple as you want. You can go as simple as using the heater type code and tell it the name of the probe you want it to follow and what range you want it all the way to using advanced type with levels and levels of failsafes.

Thanks a lot. I appreciate your help!