Thread: Anyone know the Pinout or reason behind 4 pins on PM2 Cond port?

New User

Anyone know the Pinout or reason behind 4 pins on PM2 Cond port?

Title pretty much sums up the question. Why are there 4 pins on this port? I assume it was for conductivity probes with built in temp compensation. And yet they don't sell that style probe as an option. I am trying to find an aftermarket cond probe that is more reliable than what Neptune sells. It is good...I want better. But 95% of all higher end probes require BNC connections. I have found adapters but all of them split the mini 4 DIN adapter into two BNC connections. I want to know essentially which one is correct to use and how to determine that without possibly damaging the PM2 module. So which two pins are the required connections for a cond probe. Unless the other two do something else entirely different that measure temp.
    Is anyone using alternative Cond probes? For example from Atlas Scientific?

Thanks for the help!

Q

I would assume 2 pins are for voltage injection and the other two are the sensor, but I don't know for sure. You could email support and see if they are willing to tell you, reverse engineer it, or ask around on R2R and reefcentral.

Technically we are not allowed to discuss that in this forum since that could be classified as modification or reverse engineering of neptune products, which are both against the forum rules.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

New User
    Thank you zombie. Professional as always in your replies. I'd argue the reverse engineering portion of it but to no avail I'm sure. It is just a matter of degree when it comes to any DIY project on these forums as to how much reverse engineering is or isn't allowed to be discussed. I very much appreciate the very quick response and Ill ask elsewhere.
    Q

New User
    Thank you for the response, that is what I imagined the other two pins were for as well. After much back and forth discussion with the guys at Atlas Scientific, some R2R guys, and other local sources I have 3 prototypes being tested for accuracy and longevity. Cable length and resistance similarity were the key to what so far has been a solution for less than half the price. All three work without issue so far. Calibration works and appears to last longer with less drift. Entrapped air or micro-bubbles are still an ongoing issue, but with some clever thinking they can be nearly 100% avoidable.