Thread: What is more reliable Optical Sensor OS-1-M or Float Switch

Regular Vistor

What is more reliable Optical Sensor OS-1-M or Float Switch

I want to be able to Alert and trigger on/off my return pump if the sump goes way to low or high. Not sure which one is better.

Frequent Visitor
    I have been using 3 OS-1s on my system for about 5 months and have had no sensor issues. Two detect high salt water and one detects low ato water. They send alerts at the appropriate times and turn equipment off when needed.

I actually use both in my setup. I use two optical sensors for ATO normal and backup and then I use two floats for sump high and sump low. Floats are more likely to fail and if they don't have a snail guard are not snail proof like an optical. Opticals require infrequent wiping and are more succeptable to salt creep giving false readings. Because there are pros and cons to both, I use both to be extra safe.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Regular Vistor
    Thank you both. Going to use both like you zombie. My kids play sports and I am gone allot of weekends. I need to have good redundancy.

i have both too.

for my experience floats if are constantly submerged are prone to fail: snails, slime, little Ophiuras,.

i have 3 optical, but one fail electrically after 4 months (the low level of ATK).

So use Optical only for ATO, but for all others safety sensor (low and high sump level, hight tank level, skimmer cup level) and RO/DI automatic production (low and 2 for max level in the reservoir ) I have float.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by MeoMat View Post
    i have both too.

for my experience floats if are constantly submerged are prone to fail: snails, slime, little Ophiuras,.

i have 3 optical, but one fail electrically after 4 months (the low level of ATK).

So use Optical only for ATO, but for all others safety sensor (low and high sump level, hight tank level, skimmer cup level) and RO/DI automatic production (low and 2 for max level in the reservoir ) I have float.
    I'm looking at adding the ATK to my system, and it looks like you have done exactly what I want to do. Are you using the solenoid to open the line to the RODI? My thought is I will use optical sensors to turn the solenoid on and off (one low for on, one high for off), but I haven't used them before. Is this something that can be coded in Fusion? Using the ATK seems pretty straight forward, but I want to figure out the reservoir tank at the same time.

Yes, i'm using a solenoid 3/4' membrane valve on water supply of RO/DI system. But using float sensor and BB to control:
    one to start production and 2 for stop. The production is done with timer, the stop switches are only for safety.
    I have too a Max level drainage pipe line.

This is my code:

Osmosi (solenoid control physical output - 230V AC)

Fallback OFF
    If Osmo_L CLOSED Then ON
    If Osmo_H OPEN Then OFF
    If Output TM_Osmosi = ON Then OFF
    Defer 000:05 Then ON
    If SUMP_H CLOSED Then OFF
    Min Time 060:00 Then OFF

TM_Osmosi: (timer, a virtual outlet)

Set OFF
    If Output Osmosi = ON Then ON
    Defer 185:00 Then ON
    Min Time 130:00 Then ON