Thread: Gyre and Icecap interface on Apex 2016

Frequent Visitor

Gyre and Icecap interface on Apex 2016

I have recently moved over to the Apex 2016 from the classic.

I have one lingering problem. I have 2x gyres that I was controlling via the IceCap Modules and Y cable on the old Classic Apex. However, on the 2016 version with the cable plugged into the variable ports I only seem to be able to control one of the gyres. The other doesn't turn on at all. I swapped the IceCap over and the same thing, it just controls the same gyre, not the other, also swapped the gyres over and the same problem only the same side working. That has eliminated the IceCap modules and the Gyres themselves. That leaves the cable but I don't have a spare. The IceCap modules dont show as having a fault ie just green lights, no red.

Is base_Var1 the left variable port and base_Var2 the right port? Ar the moment I have the Y cable in the left port and Left Gyre programmed into the base_Var1 and the right gyre programmed into base_Var2. I have a sneaking suspicion that somehow because the Y cable from the IceCap modules is in the left-hand base port that I should somehow be programming everything via the base_Var1.

Do you have to somehow program the variable output ports via fusion? If so how?

Many thanks
    Last edited by Batty; 04-21-2018 at 02:26. Reason: Additional info

Control Freak In Training
    I am running only 1 gyre. Mine is plugged into the left port and the picture shows which port worked for me speed and direction wise. Var speed 1 and 2 share the left port.
    image.jpg

Frequent Visitor
    Screen Shot 2018-04-21 at 16.21.33.jpg

I turned it all off an back on and now it is working...this was what I had set before.
    Lft_Gyre was on base_Var1 and Rgt-Gyre on base_Var2

The on/off seems to fix many things

Left hand port is V1 and V2 and the right hand port is V3 and V4. V1 controls the speed V2 control direction. V3 and V4 do the same for the second gyre.

Swapping the two Y cables would tell you if the issues was a cable problem because then the one that was working would stop and the other one would start working. I suspect that you need to add the tiles for V3 and V4 and then turn the other gyre on and nothing more is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Krazie4Acans View Post
    Left hand port is V1 and V2 and the right hand port is V3 and V4. V1 controls the speed V2 control direction. V3 and V4 do the same for the second gyre.

Swapping the two Y cables would tell you if the issues was a cable problem because then the one that was working would stop and the other one would start working. I suspect that you need to add the tiles for V3 and V4 and then turn the other gyre on and nothing more is needed.
    That is correct if the modified gyre cable is used. If the Y cable is used, V1 controls speed of one pump and V2 controls speed of the other and they can only go forward.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    That is correct if the modified gyre cable is used. If the Y cable is used, V1 controls speed of one pump and V2 controls speed of the other and they can only go forward.

Good catch. I forgot they have two different cable options for the Gyres.

Regular Vistor
    In a somewhat related question, I have two icecaps connected to two xf250. I’m using the y cable plugged in to the var1/2. My question is would enabling logging show me when changes in the variable speeds take place? Right now i’m Running the BRS_160 alternating gyre profiles, and I’m trying to figure out some way to actually validate everything is working as is expected.....

thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by svandive View Post
    In a somewhat related question, I have two icecaps connected to two xf250. I’m using the y cable plugged in to the var1/2. My question is would enabling logging show me when changes in the variable speeds take place? Right now i’m Running the BRS_160 alternating gyre profiles, and I’m trying to figure out some way to actually validate everything is working as is expected.....

thoughts?
    Unfortunately no. The logging only shows when the varspd changes state from OFF to TBL or a profile. It does not log the percent. The best way is to physically watch how the flow changes.