Thread: ATK Programming question

Regular Vistor

ATK Programming question

Hi ... Am a new user, so please make no assumptions on what I know about Apex programming. The following is what I have for the ATK .. it is the default program that was set up when the ATK was initially configured to the APEX. I thought that it would be beneficial (fewer start/stops for the pump) to have the ATK run less frequently then every 60 minutes so altered the min statement to have it run twice a day (if this is a dumb idea for a 90 gallon tank, comments on that would be appreciated). As best as I can tell, this is the program that is in the APEX, however, the ATK still runs every hour. Atlas every hour I get a text that says in part:

Statement: IF Swx4_2 CLOSED then ON

What am I missing? ...thanks

Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If Swx4_1 OPEN Then ON

If Swx4_2 CLOSED Then OFF
    When On > 005:00 Then OFF
    Defer 000:10 Then ON
    Defer 000:04 Then OFF
    Min Time 720:00 Then OFF

You are getting that alarm because the high level optical is covered, disconnected, or dirty, not because it's running every hour. I would not suggest doing ATO twice a day, but instead somewhere between 30 minutes to 2 hours.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

What zombie said. Your water level is probably chronically too high for the position of the sensor module. Or the sensor is dirty, or defective; probably not loose or disconnected, as it would be reading OPEN then.

Topoff twice a day does seem too seldom for a tank that size, and when you do get the water level properly calibrated, it may well want to run more than 5 minutes at a time if you only let it go twice a day, at which point you'll be getting When On ATK shutdown errors. I have a tank of similar size and I decreased the allowed interval to 30 minutes; but if you want to allow filling less often than hourly, I'd suggest 1:30. The more often it operates, the more stable the salinity. One of the fantastic features of Apex automation is being able to divide up regular manual tasks into far more tiny little tasks.

Quote Originally Posted by rkpetersen View Post
    probably not loose or disconnected, as it would be reading OPEN then.
    That is true if the sensors were actually configured as optical. If the OP left them in auto-detect (most people do from what I have seen even though the manual says to configure it), then it will change to a leak sensor and show as CLOSED when disconnected.

Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    That is true if the sensors were actually configured as optical. If the OP left them in auto-detect (most people do from what I have seen even though the manual says to configure it), then it will change to a leak sensor and show as CLOSED when disconnected.
    Ah, good point. That never even occurred to me tbh. All the more reason to not use auto-detect.

Quote Originally Posted by rkpetersen View Post
    Ah, good point. That never even occurred to me tbh. All the more reason to not use auto-detect.
    It depends on the failure mode, but most times yeah. For something that turns on or alarms when not covered, you would actually want auto-detect so it defaults to CLOSED when disconnected.

Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post

Note: the ATK setup actually does not state to configure it and I confused that with the FMK video. Neptune actually recommends leaving them in AUTO-DETECT, but I do not agree.

Regular Vistor
    had not thought about the salinity issue ... good point ... I am going back to every hour ...thanks