Thread: nearly new PMUP stopped

New User

nearly new PMUP stopped

I installed ATK a couple of weeks ago. Use the PMUP to top up the sump with RO water (via FMM). A few days ago, I noticed the water level was lower than normal and the FMM was clicking repeatedly.

I have verified that the FMM is putting out 24V when on. I assume the clicking is resistance from the pump (it isn't moving) causing the switch to jump to Off state.

I took the impeller cover off the PMUP and nothing in there, although I cannot move it at all (I assume this is normal since its DC).

Any thoughts? I'm guessing the PMUP has frozen.

Thanks!

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by wade View Post
    I installed ATK a couple of weeks ago. Use the PMUP to top up the sump with RO water (via FMM). A few days ago, I noticed the water level was lower than normal and the FMM was clicking repeatedly.

I have verified that the FMM is putting out 24V when on. I assume the clicking is resistance from the pump (it isn't moving) causing the switch to jump to Off state.

I took the impeller cover off the PMUP and nothing in there, although I cannot move it at all (I assume this is normal since its DC).

Any thoughts? I'm guessing the PMUP has frozen.

Thanks!
    Submit a ticket to support. These things drop like flies. I have lost three of them to date. It really is a shame because I love them.

That means the impeller has seized. Try to remove it and give it a vinegar soak.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

I wish we had power monitoring on the 24V outputs. It would be nice to be able to detect pmup failures quicker.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    That means the impeller has seized. Try to remove it and give it a vinegar soak.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.
    While I appreciate the input, soaking in an acid is pointless as its been in RO water since I got it. There is nothing to dissolve.

This seems to be related to something internal to the pump and from the messages I am getting it is a manufacturing problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rkpetersen View Post
    I wish we had power monitoring on the 24V outputs. It would be nice to be able to detect pmup failures quicker.
    I like that idea!

Frequent Visitor
    Open a ticket ASAP, they will replace it but not if you sit on it for too long. I have already replaced 2 PMUPs which are for RODI Top off only in 4 months.