Thread: ATK run time for RSR 750xxl

New User

ATK run time for RSR 750xxl

Hi,

My tank is 160 gal in display with 40 gallons in the sump. My Resevoir is 40 gallons and I have the siphon break installed as it is generally above the float valve water line. With an open top I seem to get a lot of evap, and the siphon break seems to lower the effectiveness of the pmup (speed of which water flows through to sump). Therefore I have had to change my run time to nearly 15 minutes. I have read may threads about not changing the 5 minute time or something is wrong in a typical situation. Does this seem right with my setup? Does my setup vary from the “typical” needs of the ATK runtime?

Thanks!!

Yours would be considered larger than typical. I would also verify that the float is set correctly and that you didn't jam the tubing in too far and made it flare out as either of those will also reduce flow from the PMUP.

Another thing you can also do it change the min time to 30 minutes so it tops off more often.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

A siphon break definitely decreases the flow slightly, as a portion of the water is being diverted back into the reservoir. Shouldn't be a very noticeable effect though.

How much evaporation do you have each day in gallons? Do you have a long path from the pmup to the sump? Because even for a tank that size and even using a siphon break, it sounds like something is off. For comparison, I have two RSR 450s, so each is slightly more than half the size of your tank, and I do also use siphon breaks. Each tank loses about a gallon a day to evaporation, sometimes a bit more. One of the ATK pmups dispenses this amount of water by operating only 10 seconds every 30 minutes throughout the day and night. There are even a flow sensor and a solenoid in the fluid path on that one. The ATK/pmup on the other tank uses the level sensors and operates in a more typical ATO mode, and again, only operates for maybe 15 seconds once or twice an hour. That's the kind of flow you should be getting.

New User
    Wow RKPeterson. Let’s talk evaporation. I fill my 40 gal resevoir every 7 days, so even if I cut out 5 gal for top and bottom, I’m getting about 5 gallons of evap a day. That seems crazy.

Path to sump is at least 4 ft, but nothing out of the ordinary. But I find the siphon flow to be pretty powerful. I’m going to also check into zombies recommendation on the tubing. Thanks again!

Frequent Visitor
    This is an interesting thread. I have an Elos 160 XL which is a 200g rimless tank. No top. I have LED lights, all DC pumps (Skimmer and Main). I travel often and I can make it almost 8 days (assuming the Skimmer does not go berserk) with 22 gallons of ATO (using the ATK). All the equipment is under the tank. Fuge and two Media Reactors running off the main pump. I have the PMUP on the ATK set to 30 minutes. I get anywhere from 10, 15, 20 to 40 seconds of runtime on the PMUP.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by wwanthony View Post
    This is an interesting thread. I have an Elos 160 XL which is a 200g rimless tank. No top. I have LED lights, all DC pumps (Skimmer and Main). I travel often and I can make it almost 8 days (assuming the Skimmer does not go berserk) with 22 gallons of ATO (using the ATK). All the equipment is under the tank. Fuge and two Media Reactors running off the main pump. I have the PMUP on the ATK set to 30 minutes. I get anywhere from 10, 15, 20 to 40 seconds of runtime on the PMUP.
    Do you have a siphon break? Just tuned mine to run every 30 minutes and am getting 3-4 minute run times - better than before but way more than yours. My set up is similar to yours. I travel a lot as well, which is why I opted for the 40 gallon resevoir.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergs View Post
    Do you have a siphon break? Just tuned mine to run every 30 minutes and am getting 3-4 minute run times - better than before but way more than yours. My set up is similar to yours. I travel a lot as well, which is why I opted for the 40 gallon resevoir.
    Double check the float too. You want it fully open when water level is at the low sensor otherwise it will restrict flow quite a bit.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergs View Post
    Yes. I needed the siphon break because my ATO reservoir is tall and thin, and thus higher than my sump. I am not using the Neptune siphon break, but I have a hole drilled in a location that accomplishes the same thing (breaks the siphon with air).

Where is your tank located? Hot? Sunlight? Air? Etc.

I think we are all, all over the place with this one. Each installation is unique.

Interesting topic.

New User
    Hi All,

Worth mentioning that most of my issues with ATK were user error. I am now getting about 1:00 min runtime every 30 mins. More in line with wwAnthony and RKpeterson re: run time combined with my greater than usual evaporation. Man, that flow valve on the RSR is TOUCHY. Thanks to all and Zombie as well for the suggestions.