Thread: COR20 wattage

New User

COR20 wattage

All,
    I have a COR20 which has been in service a few weeks. I don't understand why it is only drawing 60 watts at 100%. I have gone through the wizard a couple of times and got the same results.
    I replaced a Vectra M1 using the same plumbing, 3/4" PVC. The Vectra would draw 90 watts at 100%. I don't have a flow meter.
    This does not seem right. I think the IQ settings are incorrect.
    Any thoughts.

If you set up IQ, 100% is not the full power of the pump. It is normalized to whatever flow you set IQ to. If you are happy with that flowrate, then keep it where it's at. If you want more flow, adjust the IQ setting where you want it.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

New User
    I just ran though the setup task again. I set the max as high as it will go. Same result.

Are you talking about the COR tile or actual measured from an EB832 outlet or kill-a-watt? If the former, That is normal. Power supplies are highly inefficient and the power draw from the wall will be around 80 if the pump is drawing 60 watts where the tile actually measures it.

New User
    Tile is 61W, EB832 is 63W. The supplied power supply looks like a better unit, compared to some of the other vendors. Modern bricks easily run 85-90% efficient.

Odd. I don't have one yet, so I don't have a good baseline to compare. All I can see from the documentation is that the power draw from the wall is less than 90W.

New User
    I wonder what one would see if a COR15 is connected to a COR20 controller.

Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Power supplies are highly inefficient and the power draw from the wall will be around 80 if the pump is drawing 60 watts where the tile actually measures it.
    This is bogus info. You imply that the COR power supply is only 75% efficient, which is quite incorrect. If an COR-20 PS is plugged into an EB832 outlet, the watts shown on the EB832 tile for that outlet will typically be close, usually only a small amount higher than the value shown on the COR tile. SOME power supplies are highly inefficient; the COR PS is not.

Quote Originally Posted by AcanthurusRex View Post
    Tile is 61W, EB832 is 63W. The supplied power supply looks like a better unit, compared to some of the other vendors. Modern bricks easily run 85-90% efficient.
    This is much more accurate info, and the values given here for watts on EB832 vs. COR tiles are quite typical; on one of my COR-20 running at full blast, I see 82w & 78w respectively

Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Odd. I don't have one yet....
    Then you should not make definitive statements about a product you do not have the specific knowledge or first-hand experience to make.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    Thanks RussM,
    I was looking a "typical" power consumption figure for a COR-20.
    I opened a ticket.
    The pump is working fine. However, my hypothesis that the pump is actually a COR-15 is the best explanation I have for what I am seeing.
    If the two units are physically the same then it stands to reason that the COR-20 operates at a higher RPM. My unit is ~2810 RPM.
    I have never looked in a detail at BDCMs other than for basic operation. I don't know if the controller could do damage to a smaller motor as I do see a higher power consumption than a COR-15 is expected to consume.

Quote Originally Posted by AcanthurusRex View Post
    I wonder what one would see if a COR15 is connected to a COR20 controller.
    The pumps themselves are labeled as COR15/20; the pumps are all the same. The difference is in the driver.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    This is the power graph on the outlet at the crossover from the Vectra to the COR. Notice the noise. The unit is defective.
    Screen Shot 2018-04-25 at 1.04.25 PM.pdf

Regular Vistor
    What did you end up doing here? I'm thinking I may have a defective pump as well. I'm unable to go over 85% IQ without the pump power cycling itself or getting a VOLT error.

New User
    The pump was exchanged which resolved the issue. The power supply and controller were not swapped out. The odd power perturbations are "normal".
    I still draw only 70W, about 10% lower than what RussM reported.
    I never had an issue with shutting down or throwing errors.