Thread: setting up reservoir and want to make sure I set it up right for what apex can do

Regular Vistor

setting up reservoir and want to make sure I set it up right for what apex can do

Here is the low down on my tank and what I am trying to accomplish

I am brand new to Apex but have done quite a bit of reading. Just want to make sure I do everything correctly.

I have the Apex Classic Gold

Tank:
    - 300 Gallon Display Tank
    -175 Gallon Sump
    - Reservoir is a 55 Gallon Barrel

Currently I have RO/DI water feeding the reservoir directly. I am wanting to add a low level float switch, and a high level float switch. I am wanting to run my line through a float valve as a backup in case the float switch fails. Basically I want to fill my reservoir with 50 gallons of water. I will then add salt and have my Apex dual doser run the salt water into the sump. Once the water level in the reservoir gets down to the low level float sensor, I want it to fill the barrel back up until it gets to the high level switch. Once it gets to the high level switch I want apex to send me a notice.

I will have my dual doser do slow water changes weekdays, and add salt and mix on weekends.

My concern is, am I able to program the Apex to refill the barrel and shut off when it gets to the high level sensor, or is it going to shut off when the water level floats the low level sensor.

Last, do I really need a separate reservoir for ATO? I was planning on having a direct line from the RO/DI that will be hooked up to a solenoid. I will then have the line run through a float valve as a secondary safe guard. I will then have a float switch at the level I want to keep my water level. Whenever the float valve goes up, the solenoid will open and water will pour through my float valve. I'm guessing there is a flaw with this since so many people use reservoirs.

Any help is appreciated.

Brad Sloan

The auto refill is easy to accomplish in the NSW reservoir, you just need adequate failsafes so it's not allowed to run until you have mixed the salt.

The reasons people use a seperate reservoir for ATO is these.

1. Frequent running of an RODI kills the membrane a LOT faster. You will need to replace your membrane every 6 months to a year tops vs 3-5 years.

2. The first 5-10 minutes after starting an RODI has very high TDS that makes it's way through. This will eat up DI resin very quickly and you won't get 0 TDS into the tank.

3. An RODI is essentially an infinite reservoir so there is nothing to limit how much gets added if you have multiple failures simultaneously.

4. If your membrane starts to chloramines or chlorine can be added directly to the tank and kill off your bacterial filter. RODI in a barrel off-gasses any that make it through.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Regular Vistor
    So what size reservoir do I need to have? Also, does anyone have a programmed Apex with the mixing station that can share so I can see the failsafes you have put in to keep it from adding water until it’s mixed the salt? Is there a way for me to put a program that makes it ask me before it adds the water?

Last, for the float switch at the bottom, I am concerned about my pump setting it off from the turbulent water pushing it up and down when it is mixing salt.