Thread: Amp monitoring.

Regular Vistor

Amp monitoring.

Hi,

I am looking for a way to be notified when apex is trying to heat or chill the aquarium but the is no consumption from the outlet.
    For example if heater=On and Amp<0,5 ( knowing heater has 2,1 amps) then notify me ( or something like that).

I also want to be notified on the mobile for the chiller.

How can i program this?

Amp monitoring.

Which EnergyBar(s) do you have?

That can only be done if you use an EB832. If you have a EB832, use the Power Usage Alarm Task in Apex Fusion to configure the alarm.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    I have the Eu version with the 6 plugs.

Why i can't do it ? i can monitor the Amp so i can have alert for this if it changes or not right?

You can’t do it because the EB6 does not have per-outlet current sensors.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    It can measure the total right?
    So:

if skimmer and main pump only working the consumption is around 0,1-0,2 or sometimes undetectable.
    Radions add also another 0,3-0,4 so total you have lets say maximum 1 Amp.
    When heater kicks in the consumption is over 2,3-2,6 amps.

So i am looking for something to say to the apex :

If heater is on and Amp < 1,5 then notify me.
    This means that heater is burned or unplugged

The total amps reading for an EnergyBar is informational only; that value cannot be used in programming.

There is no programming command such as If Amps_3 < 0.5 Then ON

Frequent Visitor
    What would the code look like if you had an EB832?

Regular Vistor
    ok propose me a way to understand if the heater is not working before its too late
    Any idea?

Its very pitty to pay more money in EU compare to USA and take less of the product

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Bizness View Post
    What would the code look like if you had an EB832?
    Use the Power Usage Alarm Task in Apex Fusion

If you prefer to use old school programming, read about that in the Apex 2016 Get Started Guide (Advanced section) at https://www.neptunesystems.com/getst...reak-advanced/

Look at the EB832 Amps/Watts Alarms and Programming topic.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    Use the Power Usage Alarm Task in Apex Fusion
    Is there a way to see whats configured already in the Power Usage Alarm Tasks?

Is there a way to see whats configured already in the Power Usage Alarm Tasks?
    On the Inputs page, look in the alarm (bell icon) column. If a check is present for a given input, alarms are configured. Select an input to view, add, or modify alarm triggers.

Frequent Visitor
    One more question Russ -

With a heater going from on to off as temperature rises and falls will power monitoring like this work? Does power monitoring only monitor when the outlet is turned on? thinking that if the outlet is turned off because of temp range watts will be 0 and the alert will go on when its really not a problem.

One more question Russ -

With a heater going from on to off as temperature rises and falls will power monitoring like this work? Does power monitoring only monitor when the outlet is turned on? thinking that if the outlet is turned off because of temp range watts will be 0 and the alert will go on when its really not a problem.
    The amps and watts tile can only be true when the outlet is ON.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

One more question Russ -

From the link I gave you earlier:

Important Note: As the Apex evaluates and executes programming, these new alarm options and programming statements will be ignored if the specified output is manually OFF or the output is in AUTO and the output state is OFF due to programming. This behavior prevents false alarms about low watts or amps when an EB832 output is OFF.

As an example, let’s say that you have your return pump output programmed to turn the pump off while FeedA is active (If FeedA 000 Then OFF). You would not want an alarm about your return pump drawing 0 watts while your FeedA Cycle is active and the return pump is shut off. A watts reading of 0 is normal while the return pump is OFF in this case, so the Apex takes this into account, and will not trigger an alarm because the watts measurement is expected to be zero.

This applies whether you use the Input alarm triggers or traditional programming.

Frequent Visitor
    Thanks!

New User
    Hello. Can't find the specific answer to my situation on the forum. While I understand the power monitoring alarm feature on the EB832, what I'm having trouble finding is how to write a command to have my backup return pump turn on in the event that my primary return pump volt/amp falls outside the normal monitored range, i.e. pump failure. Would such a command for the primary return pump outlet (Output) look something like this???:
    Fallback: OFF
    Set: ON
    If Output RetPump1_2_1 <2 Volts or >20 Volts Then Off
    If Output RetPump1_2_1 <2 Volts or >20 Volts Then RetPump2_2_2 On

Thanks.
    Billy

Billy, please see the post I made in this thread which contains a link to the pertinent section of the Get Started Guide.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by kotsoym View Post
    Its very pitty to pay more money in EU compare to USA and take less of the product
    Probably due to your GOV collecting VAT

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kotsoym View Post
    ok propose me a way to understand if the heater is not working before its too late
    Any idea?
    Setup a second (fail-over heater) and not worry about the heater failing. All heaters fail, some a lot sooner than others.

The second heater would be set to come on .5 degree lower then the first. Presto