Thread: RODI flushing with solenoid valves

New User

RODI flushing with solenoid valves

Hey guys , this is my first post I am looking to auto-flush my RODI in 2 stages : (1) one min flushing the RO, and (2) next one min running the RO to lower TDS before sending the water to the DI . My question: do I need 3 soleinoids to do this ? And , more importantly, is there a way to use the breakout box to do this instead of using up 3 ports on my apex power bar ? Much thanks !!!

I wouldn't bother with the DI bypass. The money saved on DI resin will take years if not decades to make up for the solenoid costs and that just adds another point of failure I would not want.

The breakout box is input only so it can't be used to control solenoids. You either need to use the SV-1 with an open 24V port or a 120VAC solenoid or SV-1 with a power supply in an energy bar.

The flushing code is relatively simple, you just need one VO. This example is a 5 min flush each time it starts.

StopFlush (VO)
    Set OFF
    If Output outputsolenoid = ON Then ON
    Defer 005:00 Then ON

Flush (solenoid)
    Set OFF
    If Output outputsolenoid = ON Then ON
    If Output StopFlush = ON Then OFF

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Control Freak In Training
    If your source water is pushing 500 TDS like mine, amd using around 200 gallons of water a month, it is worth the solenoid to save resin. How would you code it? Just use the stop flush VO to start the same code over again?

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley000 View Post
    If your source water is pushing 500 TDS like mine, amd using around 200 gallons of water a month, it is worth the solenoid to save resin. How would you code it? Just use the stop flush VO to start the same code over again?
    I wouldn't personally. I would personally just do two DI stages in series. If you want to do it, just use the same logic as the flush but do another VO that goes for like 10 minutes instead of 5, but otherwise works exactly the same. Then you get 5 minutes of flush and DI bypassed followed by 5 minutes of DI bypassed.

Also make sure you get membranes with high efficiency like the BRS 75gph membranes. The higher flow ones that do 100+ gpd are lower efficiency and eat through DI resin like crazy.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Control Freak In Training
    I have 3 DI stages, I recently switched over to separate anion and cation in the first two as that should help cut down my resin bill. Thanks for the info on the code!

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    I wouldn't bother with the DI bypass. The money saved on DI resin will take years if not decades to make up for the solenoid costs and that just adds another point of failure I would not want.

The breakout box is input only so it can't be used to control solenoids. You either need to use the SV-1 with an open 24V port or a 120VAC solenoid or SV-1 with a power supply in an energy bar.

Hello. and thank you for your reply ! Yes I definitely installed 2 DIs in series, so i can see when the first one is depleted. I was wondering why would you say that the solenoids are expensive? They are only $8 each on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For me, the expensive bit, is using limited ports from my power bar...

The reason i want to automate this, is because currently my float valve in my big RODI reservoir takes water bit by bit, because my ATO is putting water in my tank bit by bit. Which means my DI is getting TDS creep all the time (it takes 30 seconds for my RO output to go down from ~80 to ~7 TDS)