Thread: Salinity, your thoughts?

Regular Vistor

Salinity, your thoughts?

So right now my probe is reading between 36.9 ppt and 37.2 ppt and on my hydrometer it’s about 1.026. I want to drop it to 1.025 on the hydrometer via a drip into a 5 gallon bucket, letting my ATK replenish it with RODI. Is this a sound method or I shouldn’t be to worried about my reef tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need to calibrate the probe following a strict procedure to ensure accuracy making sure the temperature of the calibration solution exactly matches tank temp, the probe is rinsed in RODI and then dried by blotting with a paper towel, and there are no bubbles in the probe before changing tank salinity.

You also need an accurate secondary measurement (hydrometers are notoriously innacurate) like a calibrated refractometer.

If you have multiple sources you can fully trust the accuracy of verify your tank salinity is indeed high (you should target 35 ppt), then the best way is to remove small volume each day to change the salinity veeeery slowly (like 0.1 per day tops). This should take several weeks. The amount to remove daily over a 1 month period if your salinity is 37.0 with a 100 gallon tank would be

System volume * (1-target salinity/current salinity)/30 days

100 * (1-35/37) / 30 = 1.8 gal or 730 ml per day.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    Mine was at a little over 37 and verified with multiple refractometers. 100 gallons of water total, I took 2 gallons a day out and replaced with RODI until it was back to 35. In the past I have removed 4 gallons in a day. Either way I changed my DOS to dose more and replenish the calcium and alk removed. SPS and clam tank with shrimp, starfish and other inverts. No issues at all for any of the fish, coral, inverts, clams. I read lots of posts about take weeks or a month to drop it or everything will die and the sky will fall. None of that happened. Not to say everyone should do it my way, but I think taking several weeks or a month is ridiculous.

There are many ways to do things in this hobby and you need to find what you are comfortable with. I would see no issues if you want to drip and let the ATK replenish.